Yosemite/1Password 5 = no vaults syncing with Dropbox

Options
Jakerlund
Jakerlund
Community Member

Hello,

After i've upgraded my computers with Yosemite and upgraded to 1PW 5 it doesn't sync new vaults to Dropbox.
If i create a new vault on one computer and add something to it, that vault never turns up on any other computer.
It's the same no matter from which computer i do this.
If i add something to the primary vault it do turn up on the other computers.

I have tested to remove dropbox and al it's files, reinstall it and let it sync all files back, set 1PW5 to use the correct sync file but still no new vaults turn up.

Comments

• Jakerlund
    Jakerlund
    Community Member
    Options

It seems to sync newly added logins to the primary vault.
    But creating a new vault doesn't sync and turn up on any computer no matter from which one i try.

Can anyone confirm creating a new vault actually turns up on another computer syncing with Dropbox?

• Jakerlund
    Jakerlund
    Community Member
    Options

Anyone?
    I bought the upgrade to 5 just to be able to use vaults... surly someone have tested it...right?

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jakerlund‌,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with Dropbox sync in 1Password 5 for Mac.

If you created a secondary vault on one Mac and you enabled Dropbox sync for it in Preferences > Sync, a new vault_name.agilekeychain file was created in Dropbox. What a few moments for the file to appear on your second Mac and double-click on it to add it to 1Password.

Please let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

• Jakerlund
    Jakerlund
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Ok kind of working.
    If i create a new vault it doesn't save the .agilekeychain at the default Dropbox location as the primary vault file, in fact i can't even find where it saves it.
    Is it really meant to be this way?
    Shouldn't a new vault automatically be saved in the same location as once set for the primary vault?
    Otherwise it's to easy making a new vault and put in a lot of info to it and accidentally forget to go into settings and set save location and finally don't have that info when you use the next computer.

And if the primary vault is opened why does it automatically unlock the other vaults for access?

Cheers

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jakerlund‌ Part of the intention behind secondary vaults was to allow sharing of a vault between people. I'm not a big user of Dropbox but I believe you can only share folders, not individual files. So to that end it makes sense to have 1Password save each secondary vault in it's own folder and separate from the primary vault to facilitate this. This way you can control sharing over each vault.

As for your second question. AgileBits designed it this way as a convenience, I suppose they could easily have also had an option in preferences to toggle this behaviour. When you add a secondary vault the master password for that vault is stored in a hidden entry within your primary vault and used for the purposes of unlocking (I actually have an explicit entry in my vault with the password because its never requested). I suppose what you have to take into account is this is still really version 1.0 of vaults. They haven't changed since their introduction as AgileBits have been busy adding vault awareness into all of their products. I suppose it isn't unfeasible that vaults will look different at some point as they take on comments from users.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jakerlund‌ and @littlebobbytables‌,

When you create a new (secondary) vault in 1Password for Mac the agilekeychain file is not created automatically. You need to enable Dropbox or Folder sync in Preferences > Sync. This will create it.

If you wish to share a secondary vault with someone you need to created in a folder that you plan to share via Dropbox, then make sure that the other person gets the vault's password.

On the other end, the person who receives the Dropbox invite should accept it and wait for a few moments for the agilekeychain file to appear in their Dropbox folder, then double-click on the keychain file and enter its password.

For more information and details about sharing a secondary vault via Dropbox sync, please take a look at this article from our Knowledgebase.

Hope that this helps!

Best,

Rad

• Jakerlund
    Jakerlund
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again,

You both gave valid points which makes absolute sense!
    It would though be cool with some setting like "Save new vaults to default folder as primary vault" or something for all the times you only work with your own stuff.
    Or when creating a new vault get a question "Save in default location or other place"

Anyway... now i know how it works and how to use it.

Thanks a lot

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jakerlund‌,

I'm really happy that you've sorted it all out :smiley:

When you create a new vault, it is created 1Password's database which is not the agilekeychain file. The agilekeychain file is just a representation of the vault used for Dropbox and Folder sync purposes.

When the user enables either Dropbox or Folder sync we have an open panel that will open to the last location that the previous open panel was opened. The user must manually select the location of the newly created agilekeychain file.

Thanks!

Rad

This discussion has been closed.