1PW4 shows up as "install" in App Store even though I am already using it

Options
OlMike
OlMike
Community Member

I have 1PW4 installed on my MacBook. I am getting ready to install Yosemite.

In the App Store 1PW4 shows as "install". Makes no sense, since I already have it installed.

I am unsure what to do as I will need to upgrade to 1PW5 for Yosemite. I use 1PW with my iPad as well as the Macbook. So, I am wondering if I should uninstall 1PW4 from the MacBook and reinstall. Or, should I simply click on "install" while I am still using Mavericks.

I need guidance. Have sent messages but no response. Hope to hear from you soon.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Let's start at the beginning. Are you sure you bought 1P4 from the App Store, and not from AgileBits? Forgive the question, but if you did it would result in what you have described, I think.

Stephen

• OlMike
    OlMike
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I bought the app from the Mac App Store. I have no credit card nor a way to pay for a purchase from any other source. The app came from apple.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OlMike‌,

Thanks @Stephen_C‌ for the assistance :+1:

You might be using 1Password 4 from our website. To confirm that, please go to your /Applications folder and see which version of 1Password you have: if it's 1Password.app it's the Mac App Store version and if it's 1Password 4.app it's our web store version.

If you have the web store version and wish to use the Mac App Store version instead, please trash it (do not use app cleaning utilities) and empty the Trash. Then download 1Password from the Mac App Store.

Please note that if you haven't updated to OS X Yosemite you will the latest version of 1Password which you'll be downloading from the Mac App Store is 1Password 4. 1Password 5 requires OS X Yosemite or later, you must have OS X Yosemite installed in order do run 1Password 5.

Hope that this helps!

Cheers!

Rad

• OlMike
    OlMike
    Community Member
    Options

It shows as 1Password 4.app in the installations folder. However, it shows as coming from the Mac App store in the Installations utility and is titled 1 Password. sans 4 In effect, it shows up as both 1 Password 4 AND 1 Password. The icon shows as 1 Password 4.

From the ABOUT 1 Password

1Password 4
    Version 4.4.3 (443000)
    Agile Web Store

From my RECEIPT from Apple

Item Seller Type Unit Price

1Password - Password Manager and Secure W... AgileBits Inc. Mac App $24.99

I can assure you, it was purchased from the Mac App store. I vividly recall making the purchase and installation.

A while back I had a problem with the 1PW mini and received instructions from you to delete and reinstall 1PW. I deleted, but did it by pressing the "X".

Here is text from that report to you...

._Here’s what I did, and what happened.

I deleted 1P4 after I assured there was a backup. I deleted by hitting
    the “X” on the shaking icon. I did not drag it to the trash, instead
    using the “X’ method.

I noted there was a ? in my dock after the deletion with 1P4 shown.
    However, the app itself was deleted.

I then reinstalled 1P4. I entered my Master password and all went well.

I then let it lock after the five minute wait.

After Iw as sure it was locked, I then clicked the 1P4 mini key icon. The
    unlock menu opened, but it is frozen.

The icon is now showing a white key in a blue background but does not
    function.

I can remove the icon by going to preferences, but the 1P4 mini is
    essentially defective, non usable._

Subsequently, I reported to you the following.......

_Hello, I have tried to attach the diagnostic report as a reply to a thread concerning the issue I was having. I can seem to get the attachment to get to you.

I think the problem is resolved.

I have already written to you about this issue.

I have been using 1P4 for a couple of weeks now. I have updated to the latest version you just released. The problem persisted after the update.

However, the problem may be eliminated now. I was having trouble with the “mini” app (the icon on the top of my MacBook). It was locking itself and I could not get it to open. The only way to get it to unfreeze was to use preferences and stop its use, kinda defeating the purpose of having the “min” app.

I discovered that after the recent update, I had TWO 1P4 applications installed on my MacBook.

When I deleted the app, there was a “?” remaining in the dock with the 1P4 showing. I had saved done a backup as suggested. The way I deleted the app was to use the “X” to delete after a long press on apps in the dock. I did not drag and drop to the trash.

I then set up and began using the newer version. The problem remained (the “mini” app would freeze).

However, after a couple of days I noticed the older version of 1P4 was still on the MacBook. It showed up on my dock. I do not typically use the dock so I not seen the second 1P4 app. I deleted the older version.

Now the “mini” app seems to work.

I suppose if this report to you serves any purpose it is to point out the odd “?” which remained after the 1P4 was deleted and that two apps were still on the MacBook.

Thanks._

I am going to assume the following:

1. I can do a backup as the first thing to do.

2. I can delete the 1PW app (drag and drop to trash).

3. I can download version 4 from the Mac App store.

All of this should be done PRIOR to upgrading to Yosemite.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OlMike‌,

Thank you for taking the time to detail all the steps you took :smile:

I seems that you somehow ended up with 1Password 4.4.3 from our web store even if you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store.

The three steps you just described, are the ones that you should take. I would add a few tiny details though:

• Do a backup as the first thing to do.
    • Quit both 1Password and 1Password mini.
    • Make sure that no other instances of 1Password are present anywhere on your hard drive: Trash all copies of 1Password.
    • Reboot your Mac.
    • Download version 4.4.2 from the Mac App Store. Note that 4.4.2 from the Mac App Store is identical to 4.4.3 from our web store.

Please let me know if this does it :smiley:

Best,

Rad

• OlMike
    OlMike
    Community Member
    Options

Make sure that no other instances of 1Password are present anywhere on your hard drive: Trash all copies of 1Password.

How is this done?

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OlMike‌,

Some users like to keep a copy of 1Password on an external drive that is mounted for backup purposes. Other users have a copy of 1Password in their Downloads folder.

You need to make sure that you only have 1Password.app in your /Applications folder. You can use Spotlight and search for 1Password 4.app and 1Password.app before proceeding to step 5 and make sure that you have no other instance of 1Password.

Please let me know if this helps :smile:

Rad

This discussion has been closed.