Converting from ewallet

Options
Jeev
Jeev
Community Member

hello

Has anyone found a way to import from ewallet? I think it only allows output from a text file in windows. Was hoping I can import into 1password directly.

Thanks!

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @Jeev,

Our friend @‌MrC has written a script for converting eWallet data into a format that 1Password 4 for Mac or Windows can import. This topic has more information about it:

eWallet Converter for 1Password 4

It's now included with other data converters that can be downloaded from here:

Import your data

If you don't have 1Password 4 for Mac or Windows, you can download them from here:

AgileBits Downloads

Both have an unlimited 30-day trial period, which is explained here:

AgileBits Software Licenses

After your data has been imported into 1Password 4 for Mac or Windows you can sync it with your iOS devices.

I hope that helps. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Options

Howdy Jeev,

I'll second sjk's recommendation to try the eWallet converter. :-)

For some reason, the link is going to page 2. You'll want to go to the the first post to find the download link.

This thread is posted in the IOS forum, but I see you can export as a text file, so I'm thinking you're are using a Windows or a Mac. Either will work.

• Jeev
    Jeev
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @MrC and @sjk‌

thanks very much for the pointer - I was able to successfully port over. I did notice that many of my entries (>100) were ported over to the wrong category. from searching the forums, it looks like changing categories (and icons) is not supported - is that still the case? would be great if you can add this feature, i'd very much like to use 1Password but don't really have the ability to spend hours manually updating so many cards.... :-(

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

That's good news.

I think category changing is on AgileBits' list of Good Intentions, but I have no knowledge of its status.

The PIF format conversion (default) supports the following categories:

login creditcard software note socialsecurity passport email bankacct membership

When you say "wrong category", can you expand a bit? Maybe it's something the converter could help with.

On my list of Good Intentions is a category converter. I had to get some plumbing work done first, and now that that's done, it should be pretty easy to accomplish. The hardest part is making the configuration reasonable for humans to manage.

• Jeev
    Jeev
    Community Member
    Options

sure. for example, I had cards in ewallet stored as drivers license, passport, software keys, auto cards and many more. all of these got pulled over as "secure notes" in 1Password eventhough some of the categories exist. some came over just fine (i.e. credit cards, bank accounts and social security numbers).

also noticed that on my IOS version, I see all categories in 1Password. but in Windows version, it does not display many categories (i.e. Memberships, social security numbers, etc.). is seems that the view (left part) is fixed and you cannot add more categories eventhough the cards are categorized appropriately.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Options

Ok, got it.

When I first wrote the converter, it only exported to CSV, and 1Password's CSV import was limited to only 4 categories. And then when I updated the converter to export to 1PIF, I only implemented the most common types initially, as a proof of concept. I had not yet created the new plumbing mentioned above, and now that its done, I need to remove the old 1PIF code and replace it with my new 1PIF module, which supports all of 1Password's card types:

bankacct creditcard database driverslicense email identity login membership
    note outdoorlicense passport rewards server socialsecurity software wireless

Of those that remain to be implemented (database driverslicense identity outdoorlicense rewards server wireless), do you have many of these?

I'd like to understand why your software keys (or any of the list that are implemented) did not get imported to the appropriate type, since they should have been recognized, so long as you did not change certain key Field Names of the stock cards. Certain field names are required to determine the card type, so if you changed these, the converter can't know what type the entry is. For example, the Software type looks for any of the strings "Version", "Name\/Label" or "Key" as field labels. The good news is, that the field recognizer uses patterns, so its possible we can adjust yours to better match.

I have a few things on the burner right now, but moving the eWallet converter to the new PIF generator and adding the remaining card definitions will be done soon.

The Window version of 1Password is different - some items are under the Wallet category. The others are fixed. Nomenclature can be a little confusing too. One Windows, these are referred to as "type of item" or Categories. And Categories in eWallet are really high-level Folders, so to speak, and entries are called "Card"s, and cards have a Card Type.

• Jeev
    Jeev
    Community Member
    Options

hi MrC

oh, I see. that makes sense now. out of the ones you mention, I do use drivers license and rewards ... but could convert those manually if the others are working.

I went back and double checked to make sure I am using the stock software card in ewallet - confirmed that I am. I redid the conversion to 1Password but with the same result - the software cards still continued to be captured as secure notes in 1Password (IOS version and Windows version). I am using Name, Version and Key for almost all of the cards.

will you post an updated in this forum when your new version is ready? or do you have another website that I need to check?

thanks!

• nashkat
    nashkat
    Community Member
    Options

I just installed 1password and downloaded the converter and followed instruction twice no luck. Im using a mac 10.9.4 Help

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Options

Can you explain more clearly what you mean when you say "no luck"? What did you see? Did the script output anything? (that's what I'd need to see to diagnose the problem).

Here is a movie might help you: it shows the build up of the command line for the mSecure converter, just take note that you're working with the eWallet converter, but follow the same procedure.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi Jeev,

... the same result - the software cards still continued to be captured as secure notes in 1Password (IOS version and Windows version). I am using Name, Version and Key for almost all of the cards.

This movie shows how it should be working.

You can enable debug by adding the -d option to the command line, but you'll have to make your cmd shell window scrollback buffer larger (right-click the cmd shell title bar, select Properties, go to the Layout tab, and set the Screen Buffer Size's Height to something like 3000. You might also want to increase the height/width of the window.

Look for one of your software cards, and see what Card Type is being returned. Here's the example debug output from the identical conversion shown in the movie.

import_txt          : ------  Card name: Software Serial Number
    check_match_and_set :           URL: www.example.com
    check_match_and_set :           username: joe@example.com
    check_match_and_set :           password: mysecretsauce
    check_match_and_set :           title2: my software
    check_match_and_set :           publisher: some mfg
    check_match_and_set :           version: 2
    check_match_and_set :           label: blitzsoft/good soft
    check_match_and_set :           number: 1324
    check_match_and_set :           name: joe blow
    check_match_and_set :           key: 12345556
    check_match_and_set :           purchasedate: 9/1/00
    check_match_and_set :           purchasefrom: store
    check_match_and_set :           support: support me please
    check_match_and_set :           partnum: 3
    check_match_and_set :           softlocation: home
    check_match_and_set :           phonenum: 555-1212
    import_txt          :   Card Type: software
    import_txt          :
            support: support me please
            number: 1324
            softlocation: home
            key: 12345556
            phonenum: 555-1212
            password: mysecretsauce
            purchasedate: 9/1/00
            publisher: some mfg
            URL: www.example.com
            version: 2
            name: joe blow
            tags: My Cards
            username: joe@example.com
            title2: my software
            purchasefrom: store
            title: Software Serial Number
            label: blitzsoft/good soft
            partnum: 3

Let's take the rest of any debug offline. PM me for more info.

• Deborah Horwitz Benson
    Options

Thanks so much MrC! I just used your script and successfully imported my eWallet data into 1Password4. It worked flawlessly the first time. I am so grateful to you for the time and effort you obviously put into this. FYI, I had eWallet version 7.4.4 and 1Password 4 version 4.4.1. I use OSX version 10.9.4. Thanks - Debbie

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Fantastic!

• tanner
    tanner
    Community Member
    Options

MrC,
    I just updated to OS X 10.10 Yosemite and installed 1Password 5.0 for my initial experience with this app. Will you be updating your script to accommodate eWallet to 1Password conversions in these updated versions? Thanks for being a supporter! - JT

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @tanner,

The conversion script works on Yosemite and 1P5. Use the converter that is located in the _testing folder in my AgileBits Utilities area. Download convert_to_1p4_1.00.zip, unzip it, and place the folder onepassword-utilities with all of its contents onto your Desktop. Read and follow the instructions in README.pdf.

This new convert_to_1p4 version consolidates all the conversion scripts into a single script with password-manager specific modules.

On Yosemite, you'll want to use a specific version of the Perl program, version 5.16, so where you're asked to type "perl" use "perl5.16" instead:

perl5.16

• tanner
    tanner
    Community Member
    Options

MrC, no joy with the conversion script. After executing the cmd "perl convert_to_1p4.pl eWallet -v ../../pm_export.txt" I get "Can't locate Date/Calc.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5.16.1 /opt./local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level..... and so on... Then there is some more like "BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Utils/PIF.pm line 18" and so on...
    Any ideas?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @tanner,

This:

@INC contains: /opt/local/lib/perl5, ...

tells me that you have either MacPorts of some other toolkit installed, and are using that (because this toolkit has modified your PATH to look in /opt/local first). If you want to use the MacPorts installed version of Perl, you'll have to also install the additional modules like Date::Calc. Example: sudo port install p5.16-date-calc

But this module is already installed on Yosemite with the stock Perl. You can force using it by using the full path:

/usr/bin/perl5.16

instead of just perl5.16 by name.

• tanner
    tanner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks MrC. After adding the path I was successful importing the data from eWallet. Saved me a lot of time typing in almost 600 entries. As a side note, 1Password v5.0 did crash immediately after the import but when reopening it contained all the imported data and seems to work normally. A nice feature of 1Password is syncing over iCloud. I checked my IOS devices and they also got the imported data. Yeah! Thanks so much for your help! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You're welcome.

I was successful importing

And these are the sweetest words of the day. Thanks!

I've seen rare, random crashes (and other oddities) w/1P4 during my testing, when I quickly delete and then import items, and I've reported these to AgileBits. I can't recall if I've seen these with 1P5, but I'll keep watching and reporting as I find them.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This post is to document the new and improved version is now generally available and discussed here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/30286/mrcs-convert-to-1password-utility/p1

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @MrC!

This discussion has been closed.