Export all items to an external device [Export is unencrypted, use the backups instead]

Options
ronen
ronen
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hi.

If I export all items to an external device ( Such as Disk On Key ),

Is the data secured there ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The recommended export format is as .1pif. However if you try that you'll see a very clear warning that:

The file will not be encrypted and so must be protected.

I suspect that applies to all export formats. After all you are taking items outside the protection of your 1P vault.

Stephen

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you .
    Iv'e encrypted my File .

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ronen‌ If the goal is a backup stored somewhere other than your main hard drive then you have a couple of other options. You could safely keep a copy of your most recent backup (Preferences... : Backup tab and then the Show Files button to open a Finder window in the appropriate location). Those are standard zip files containing a copy of the sqlite file so the contents are already encrypted. Depending on how or if you're currently syncing you could also go down that route. If you're not syncing you could start and stop a Folder Sync and that would create an agilekeychain package that you could copy to your external storage device - again, already encrypted. If you use Dropbox you could simply copy that agilekeychain to achieve the same goal. One advantage of the agilekeychain is, as long as your careful of any browser file restrictions, you can access your vault in a read-only form using 1PasswordAnywhere. Now it works best via Dropbox but Safari does allow you to turn off local file restrictions (for example) at which point 1PasswordAnywhere would work from a pen drive or similar.

I suppose it all depends on if you have need for a particular format or have a certain goal in mind. The advantage of all of those above is because they're copies of your vault all you need to do is remember the same one password, your master password.

• Great answer by @littlebobbytables‌, couldn't have said it better myself.

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you !!!

• On behalf of the guys here, you're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.