Improve how 1Password creates a new software license item when dragging an app in

Options
bobbyt
bobbyt
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Since I upgraded to 1Password 4 (and subsequently 1Password 5), there have been a handful of UI design annoyances that have taken what used to be a simple task and made it a bit tedious...

Specifically when trying to add new software license information, I always have to go though the following:

1. Drag the app into 1Password.
  2. Do a search for the app.
  3. Click Edit the app.
  4. Manually drag the app icon in the finder over the generic application icon in 1Password so the entry shows the App's icon.
  5. Tab thought the fields, making sure I don't accidentally rename a field title.

What should the process be like? In 1Password 3 it was:

1. Drag the app into 1Password
  2. Fill out the fields, tabbing between the values.

Effectively since I updated to 1Password 4, what used to take 2 separate actions now takes 5...

First off for what ever reason, when adding a new App to 1Password, 1Password adds the app, but does not update the UI to show it. I have to manually search for the App, highlight it, then click edit to add the license information. To me these extra steps seem really unnecessary. How many people drag a new App to create an entry in 1Password, only to leave it at that?

I remember in 1Password 3 when I dragged a new app in, it created a new entry and then opened up the edit window automatically.

In addition, when I drag the new app in, though the entry it creates takes the App name and version, the icon on new entries ALWAYS show a generic "A" application icon. I always have to re-drag the apps icon over it in order to get it to take the Apps icon. In 1Password 3 the icon was always automatically parsed.

Lastly, when I fill out the fields I tab though in order to fill them out. Since 1Password 4 the tab key goes between value fields AND title fields. I pretty much NEVER change the field's titles, so this seems like extra work for nothing. Don't get me wrong there is nothing bad about allowing one to change the title of a given field, but it shouldn't be setup to assume a user will ALWAYS be doing this...

I always end up filling out the name field, hitting tab to fill out the email field, only to start renaming the email field's title. I then have to escape back out of the title field and tab again to the value field...

Overall it feels like since 1Password 4 the process has become much more cumbersome with no real benefit to the new method vs. the old...

Comments

• Hi @bobbyt,

I agree, we did go back a bit when we didn't reimplement the previous drag target for apps after redesigning 1Password. This is something we do plan to bring back in a future update.

However, a few of your steps should already be working. When I tested this, it did work. Can you test something for me:

1. Open the main 1Password app, unlock, and go to the Software Licenses category
    2. Drag one of the apps into the item list of Software Licenses, scroll to find that item, you should see the following filled in: Title, version, and the app icon.

Here's my test:

Don't get me wrong there is nothing bad about allowing one to change the title of a given field, but it shouldn't be setup to assume a user will ALWAYS be doing this...

This will be improved in the future to not tab into existing template names. It should only be tabbing into field names when it is a brand new field, not an existing one.

Bug ID #: OPM-1092, OPM-761, and OPM-1167

This discussion has been closed.