How to upgrade from 1P4 to 1P5 via App Store?

Options
dogpaw
dogpaw
Community Member

I'm looking at my Purchased apps and see 1P in there. However, the only option I have is to "Open" it and of course, it simply opens my V.4. The description within the App Store does say it's version 5.0. How do I upgrade? Thanks

Comments

• Hi @dogpaw,

The 1Password 5 update should show up under the "Updates" tab of the Mac App Store. Do you see it there?

Please note that 1Password 5 requires OS X Yosemite. If you're still using Mavericks or Mountain Lion, the update will not be available to you.

• dogpaw
    dogpaw
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I'm upgraded to Yosemite and getting 1P v5 is one of my first tasks. I do not see it in Update tab of the app store. That's why I was first confused and then went to the Purchased tab and don't see a way to update it there either. A mystery.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dogpaw, is it possible you already installed the 1Password 5 update, or that you've set the Mac App Store to install updates automatically?

Please open the 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password. The window that opens will show the version number (as well as whether it is from Mac App Store or Agile Web Store). Can you confirm the exact version you see there?

• dogpaw
    dogpaw
    Community Member
    Options

I'm out of town currently so I can't open up my 1P at my office but I did definitely confirm before posting here that I had v4.x.x. I can't recall the exact version. I also purposely have auto update OFF on all my Macs. I have it purchased from the App Store. I have numerous apps purchased from there am and fully used to finding the Update button to update any apps. However, for 1P, the button only says Open. I go to the Purchased tab in the App Store and find 1P but that button is also just "Open." I close and keep launching the App Store hoping that 1P will show up as having an update but no luck there after multiple times doing this.

On my Air that I'm working on, upon upgrade to Yosemite yesterday, I was able to launch the App Store and Update 1P to v5 successfully. I can see how the features have slightly changed and my office Mac Pro is definitely still v4.x.x.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dogpaw, that's odd, I haven't heard of a problem like this before. And you said you've definitely installed Yosemite on that Mac, right?

Here are a few things you can try to see if they help:

• Reboot your Mac, then check Mac App Store > Updates again.

• Go to Store > Sign Out, then quit the Mac App Store. Reopen it and go to Store > Sign In (making sure to sign in with the Apple ID you used to purchase 1Password, of course). Check Updates again.

• If you still can't install version 5, delete the 1Password app from Applications (do not use any uninstalling/cleaning apps to do this, as it could delete important data files) and empty the Trash. Open Mac App Store and reinstall 1Password.

Let us know how it all goes, thanks!

• dogpaw
    dogpaw
    Community Member
    Options

I had already tried option one several times but trying all three options you suggest, went no where. Now I have no 1P and the App Store still says only "Open" for 1P. I can't reinstall after trashing it from Applications.

I'm ready to pay up the full price and buy from you like I did when you guys first came out with 1P. I should have never switched to the App Store version.

• dogpaw
    dogpaw
    Community Member
    Options

I have used 1P since you first came out and it's my most prized and used app for my work. I recommend it to all our clients, friends, neighbors, etc. I don't mind paying for 1P again. Well worth it.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @dogpaw,

Now I have no 1P and the App Store still says only "Open" for 1P. I can't reinstall after trashing it from Applications.

You've emptied the trash and reboot the Mac afterward, right?

One other option is to reset the cache in Mac App Store, that often helps. Here's how to do this:

1. Open Terminal from your Applications > Utilities folder
    2. Copy the following command: open `getconf DARWIN_USER_TEMP_DIR` and paste it into Terminal before pressing the enter key. Make sure the ` characters are in there.
    3. A finder window will open, look for a folder called com.apple.appstore and delete it.
    4. Restart the Mac and open the Mac App Store, you should be able to download 1Password now.

I have used 1P since you first came out and it's my most prized and used app for my work. I recommend it to all our clients, friends, neighbors, etc.

That's amazing to hear, thank you.

I don't mind paying for 1P again. Well worth it.

You don't have to pay again, we do provide everybody a free license at our webstore if they bought 1Password at the Mac App Store. You just have to email us your receipt from the Mac App Store and we'd send you the license at no extra cost. If you want to do this, email us at support+forum@agilebits.com with the link to this thread. You'll get a response back from BitBot and on the bottom of that response, there is a support ID #, please let me know what it is in order for me to find your email.

• dogpaw
    dogpaw
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent my App Store receipt to that email address. I would very much prefer to deal directly with AgileBits again and not have to deal with the App Store.
    Thanks for all your help.

• Hi @dogpaw,

I sent you a PM, please check for it.

This discussion has been closed.