Auto fill in 1Password

Options
ashleyk
ashleyk
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Today I found myself filling in some information inside 1Password for a new piece of software I had bought so there I was for the hundredth time writing in my name, company and email etc when it occurred to me, why on earth doesn't 1Password include an auto fill feature for tasks like this? Surely it could take the information straight from your identity details.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @ashleyk,

It does have Identity filling in addition to your credit cards. To get it to work, click on the 1Password icon in your browser or press Command + Option + \ and select the Identity item to fill.

For more information, please read this: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/adding-an-identity-and-a-credit-card

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @MikeT,
    Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly. I have already created identities and credit card details etc inside 1Password that I frequently use to complete information on web pages. I want to make use of the same information to complete fields within the main 1Password app itself.

As an example if I want to create a new item inside the 1Password app, whether it be a software licence, drivers licence or whatever, it would be quicker to complete this task if 1Password could automatically extract information held in the app from the identity settings. That way I wouldn't need to manually write information like name, address, email, company and all the rest manually each time.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @ashleyk,

I want to make use of the same information to complete fields within the main 1Password app itself.

Aha! I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I got what you mean now, thank you so much for clarifying!

We don't decrypt more than what is needed to minimize data going into your memory for security reasons. So, for this to work, we have to decrypt your identities each time you create a new software item and that's a lot of data.

I'll file a request on your behalf here and we'll do a analysis to see if this is worth it.

What I recommend right now is create a blank software item and fill in the most common information. Save it with the title describing it as a template. You can then right-click on this template item to duplicate it and use that to fill in the rest of the information.

Here are the screenshots to see what I mean:

This discussion has been closed.