Login to site that tracks - let 1Password choose private browsing

Options
TBSWE
TBSWE
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

From time to time I need to log in to a site that has a tracking policy I do not agree to.

My solution has been to configure Firefox to always use private browsing, and to always use Firefox for this site. For other sites and normal browsing I use Safari.

Is there a way to instruct 1Password for mac (currently using version 4) to always use Firefox for a certain URL?
Alternatively is there a way to instruct 1Password for mac to always use private browsing for a certain URL?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Currently you can't ask 1P to open a URL using a specific browser—although others have already requested that feature. Neither can you currently ask 1P to open a URL in private browsing mode.

Stephen

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TBSWE, as Stephen said, neither of these are features we currently have available. I have, however, added your name to the list of customers who have requested the ability to have 1Password select which browser to open specific URLs in. I have not seen a request to open specific URLs in a private browsing window before. That is an interesting request that I will add to our feature request list.

-Eva

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TBSWE,

You might take a look at Choosy to provide some of this functionality. Not sure it works in Yosemite; as @MartyS mentioned:

While Choosy hasn't been updated in many years, it still works wonders on systems dating from Leopard to the latest Mavericks (I haven't tried it on Yosemite).

This looks like a possible, more "DIY" and currently free, alternative to Choosy:

LinCastor - Onflapp's Blog

Also spotted it here:

10.8: Open a specific browser based on the URL - Mac OS X Hints

Another option is to create 1Click Bookmarks for specific 1Password Login items in your browsers of choice and use them to open and fill with corresponding sites. And if you don't want certain items to appear in 1Password mini and accidentally be used from there you can set their Display option to Never display in browser. Sort of the inverse of the issue this article covers:

Account items no longer appear in 1Password mini

I hope that helps. :)

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, Choosy continues to work in Yosemite!

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@MartyS‌

Yes indeed it does

ps offtopic for me ,

Waves ! :D

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni