Holding thumb on TouchID as app opens causes app to be unusable

Options
english06
english06
Community Member

If you select the app to open and before the app is opening put your thumb on the sensor preemptively the app will authenticate. This authentication will unlock everything but the screen asking for you to use "Touch ID for "1Password" will still be there. Selecting either enter passcode or cancel will cause a gray overlay to appear and lock you out of using the app. You must force quit the app in the switcher to resolve the issue.

Further details and screenshots can be provided if needed.

Comments

• Thanks @english06‌, we've been bitten by this one as well. It appears to be a Touch ID bug and we've logged it with Apple as such.

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Something like this has happened to me as well several times in the release version 5.0.1, although I'm not sure what triggered it. I'm unable to reproduce by holding the TouchID sensor pre-emptively.

I did manage to get a screenshot the second time it happened (personal details are redacted):

I don't think the app should be able to get into a state where your vault is unlocked (or "looks" unlocked), and TouchID is still waiting for you to authenticate. Either you've authenticated and the vault is unlocked, or you haven't authenticated and it's not.

And as @english06 says, 1Password appears to become unstable when it gets into this state as well — I think it hanged in my case.

The good thing is it's not possible to navigate or browse the vault when it gets into this state, because the TouchID prompt is still modal.

Is this the same bug that you've reported to Apple?

• Thanks for taking the time to write in, @semblance‌. Yes, this is the same bug that we reported to Apple. We completely agree that 1Password should not be allowed to get into this state, but unfortunately we don't have any visibility into how or when Apple is displaying the Touch ID prompt. The code in 1Password very simply asks your device to show you the Touch ID prompt and tell us if you're authenticated or not. In the cases where this is happening we're getting a positive to response to a request for authentication.

This discussion has been closed.