Changing passwords: I am missing something in the workflow

Options
Tom Harrison
Tom Harrison
Community Member

I have followed this guidance to change passwords, which I do regularly: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/4/en/topic/changing-a-saved-password -- in some cases, after generating password and selecting "Fill" I get a prompt to save the new password, and then my new password replaces old, and old is saved under Previously Used...

But more than occasionally this doesn't happen. And in some cases, it appears that the new password is cleared from the clipboard, and in some cases, the password doesn't even appear to save in generated passwords.

Is this a problem others have noticed?

Could I suggest that there's an explicit workflow for "Change Password" that makes this a little easier and more obvious, and also encourages people to change their passwords more frequently?

Thanks,

Tom Harrison

BTW: Using 1Password for IOS8 with my fingerprint touch login is amazingly great, even before many apps have enabled the 1Password extension. Way to go!!

(Now I just need a new iPad and something for my computers that can also recognize fingerprints and work the same way!!)

Comments

• jnrever
    jnrever
    Community Member
    Options

How long are you waiting before copying from clipboard? On my machine I have deliberately given 1Password a short duration time for keeping a password on the clipboard. Perhaps you have the same? Check 1Password -> Preferences -> Security. On my 1Password version, the Clipboard setting is checked and, in my case, I have 15 seconds before the clipboard is cleared.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

BTW: Using 1Password for IOS8 with my fingerprint touch login is amazingly great, even before many apps have enabled the 1Password extension. Way to go!!

Thank you for your very kind words, Tom! I've shared them with the rest of the team here, and we greatly appreciate them. :)

(Now I just need a new iPad and something for my computers that can also recognize fingerprints and work the same way!!)

We're excited to see what the future brings. ;)

@jnrever has a good suggestion. Be sure that 1Password is not set to clear the clipboard (Preferences > Security) before you are trying to paste.

There are a few different issues here, and I'd love to address each of them separately so neither of us is getting confused about things.

Not Prompted to Update Login

Could you let me know the URL of the site where you are not prompted by 1Password to update your Login item after changing the password? I'd love to pass it along to the developers so they can improve 1Password.

Generated Password Item Not Created

A generated password item should be created every time you click the "Fill" button in generator.

It should show up in the "History for example.com" section when you are viewing example.com in your browser.

A complete list of generated passwords can be found in the Passwords category in the sidebar in the main 1Password app.

From there you should be able to copy the password. (Shift-Command-C is the keyboard shortcut to copy the password of any selected item in 1Password and 1Password mini.)

If you're able to reproduce an issue with the item not being created when you click the "Fill" button, or if you're having further trouble, please let me know. I'm happy to dig deeper until all is resolved.

• Tom Harrison
    Tom Harrison
    Community Member
    Options

Hi -- thanks for the detailed response. I am afraid I am not able to reproduce the problem at the moment. I was definitely the case that I was having the problem, but now cannot seem to make it happen -- I had spent some time changing passwords over the weekend (because I should, and also because I wanted to reproduce the issue). I do have the security setting enabled to clear clipboard after 90 seconds ... perhaps my workaround of copying, then pasting into a notepad or textedit file took long enough for the clipboard thing to kick in. Still, it seems odd, since I am pretty sure I looked at the generated passwords, and also regularly use the password history feature and in neither case was able to use them.

I'll let you know if this happens again, and try to get a clearly repeatable case. For now, I guess magic has occurred :-)

Thanks again.

Tom

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Tom Harrison,

Thanks for the update, I'm happy to hear it's currently working correctly for you! Please do let us know if you run into the problem again, and if magic doesn't save the day. ;)

• Tom Harrison
    Tom Harrison
    Community Member
    Options

Alas, magic has lost to reality once again. Drat!

I am able to reliably reproduce the issue I described, with the notable exception that the generated password does get saved (despite what I said before!).

Here's a video that shows the case in Microsoft's web version of Outlook. http://monosnap.com/file/2d637AngV2N94ZW5JMf9pXZNAFIVxG

It also shows 1) my new password, which I assure you I have since changed, and 2) the really lousy usability of Outlook :-).

1Password
    Version 4.4.2 (442010)
    Mac App Store

Let me know if there's more information I can provide.

Thanks!

Tom Harrison

• Thanks for the video, Tom! In a case like this where the update prompt does not show, you should be able to open the main 1Password app and click into the Passwords category, and there you will find a record for outlook.com (probably several of them) with the generated password. Each entry will have a time stamp so you can find the most recent generated password.

From there you can copy/paste that to your login item. Any time you use the Fill button on the generator in 1Password mini, a Passwords item will be created for it as a safety net, as well as it being copied to the clipboard.

• pomme4moi
    pomme4moi
    Community Member
    Options

I second the request for a more explicit password change process. I also change my passwords frequently, and in about 5% of the cases something (not sure what) seems to go wrong. I follow the 1P process, and the respective website confirms with a "password changed" message. But a couple days later I will click on the 1P item to log into the website, and the website will respond with an "invalid password" message. So something went wrong somewhere, forcing me to go thru the website's process for resetting my password. I would like to see a more explicit process in 1P with explicit confirmation messages. With the current process, it seems you have to assume that 1P saved the new password correctly and that the website has the same new password. Thx

• @pomme4moi‌ If 1Password mini does not show you either a Create new login prompt or an Update existing login prompt, you should not assume the password was recorded into a Login item (however, as a safety net, once the Fill button is clicked, it will record the generated password in the Passwords category).

If 1Password prompts, and you accept, it should be recorded. If a prompt is happening, and it is not being recorded, we'd love to know the site that is happening on.

This discussion has been closed.