Do I have two different databases for 1Password? Is that possible?

Options
Eric Philpott
Eric Philpott
Community Member

I can't seem to sync my two Macs and my iPhone and iPad.

My main machine has the database I want to have on all the other devices. This machine is on OS X 9

But my secondary machine, however, seems to be the one that my iOS devices are syncing to. I just upgraded this machine to OS X 10

I have checked settings on both machines, both are using my iCloud account.

This problem existed before I upgraded the second machine to Yosemite.

How do I troubleshoot this? I have no idea what else to look at.

Thanks, Eric

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Eric Philpott

To sync with iCloud you'd need to have all of your devices on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) w/ 1Password 5 for Mac from the Mac App Store and all of your iOS devices on iOS 8 w/ 1Password 5 for iOS. If this is not possible you can sync with WiFi or Dropbox:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync

Thanks.

Ben

• Eric Philpott
    Eric Philpott
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for reply, Ben.

All of my devices are now up to date. Still two different databases - and I see two databases when I look in system preferences. Image attached:

I couldn't guess which of the two databases showing in this panel is the correct one. All I know is that my iOS devices are syncing with the wrong database.

In general, I have had bad luck with 1Password syncing and never gotten support from the company: no response when I emailed about this issue a month ago. One time a few years ago I offered to pay them for a consultant - but no response. I lost my whole database that time.

I need to get this sorted out and figure out how to make 1Passwpord more reliable for me.

Eric

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eric Philpott‌,

After updating to the new iCloud CloudKit engine in OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, you may see two 1Password sync files in your iCloud storage. One is from the old engine and the other from t he new engine.

As it is difficult to tell the two apart, the easiest method is to reset sync for 1Password entirely. Since both the Mac and iOS device have local copies of the data, we can remove and regenerate iCloud data easily.

We’ll do most of the work on the Mac.

Disable iCloud sync on all devices.

• iOS: In 1Password, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service > Disable iCloud.
    • Mac: Open 1Password and click 1Password > Preferences > Sync > Change Syncing > Disable Sync.

Remove the newer iCloud data.

• Click Help > Troubleshooting > Erase iCloud data.

Remove older iCloud data.

• Open System Preferences and click iCloud. Click Manage. Click the remaining 1Password entry, then click Delete All.
    • Restart all devices.

Set up iCloud again.

• Mac: Open 1Password and click 1Password > Preferences > Sync > iCloud.
    • iOS: In 1Password, tap Settings > Sync > Start Syncing > iCloud.

This should get you all sorted, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• Eric Philpott
    Eric Philpott
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Megan.

One of my databases (on my main Mac) has the new passwords I want to keep. Ideally I would wipe all the others and start again using that specific version of the database.

OR - if I follow your instructions, will all my databases merge (thus keeping any and all new passwords, wherever they reside).

Eric

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eric Philpott

1Password is pretty good at merging data, so your new passwords will get priority. If you have made different edits to the same entry on multiple devices, you might see conflict fields within that entry after a merge: if 1Password cannot tell which edit is newer, it will save both so that no data is lost. Feel free to run a fresh backup on your primary machine ( File > Backup ) prior to following the above steps, just so you're sure you have a clean copy of the database to revert to in case anything wonky happens during the merge. (This is just a precaution, I don't anticipate needing it.)

If you would prefer to wipe all your devices, that's an option too. On iOS, it's easy, simply delete the app (and remove the data from iCloud as stated above). To start fresh on your secondary machine, you'll need to remove the local data store. Please see these instructions: Starting Over.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.