CloudKit vs. Dropbox sync: any new considerations?

Options
odysseus
odysseus
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I'm familiar with previous debates on using Dropbox vs. iCloud for syncing (i.e. Dropbox makes 1Password Anywhere possible, iCloud offers a new, more efficient data format, Dropbox can sync more than one vault, iCloud is native, etc.)

Has the deployment of iOS 8, 1Password 5 and CloudKit changed anything? It still seems to me as if the scales are tipped slightly in favor of Dropbox. Anyone care to weigh in here?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@odysseus‌ All of your points are still currently the same. Dropbox allows 1PasswordAnywhere and synchronisation of secondary vaults and iCloud still doesn't. The transition to the new iCloud using CloudKit was to make use of the better synchronisation framework offered by Apple. They realised iCloud syncing wasn't great and so redesigned it from scratch. In theory it should be more responsive and break less often, in theory :wink:

I wouldn't say anything has changed so much that if you are already using Dropbox that it's worth changing.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌,

Just wanted to pop in here and confirm what @littlebobbytables‌ has said. We hope that the new iCloud sync will be better, stronger, faster, and more reliable than what users experienced in version 4, but other than that, the situation is still the same. Dropbox does have some definite advantages in terms of its cross-platform compatibility and the ability to easily sync and share multiple vaults.

As for that 'new, more efficient data format', we're working to bring that to all platforms soon. :)

This discussion has been closed.