WiFi Sync to iOS & Windows?

Options
Belazor
Belazor
Community Member

Hi all,

I'm evaluating replacing LastPass with 1Password due to performance problems with LP, as well as the security concerns with storing work-related login information in the cloud. For that reason, I would like to set it up so that my OS X (my main work computer is a MacBook Pro) vault can be synchronised over WiFi to my iPhone, iPad and Windows devices.
My Windows computer does indeed have a WiFi card.

When I was looking through 1Pv4 for Windows, I could only find a way to sync a new vault to my iOS devices, but not a way to receive synchronisations.

Will it not be possible to do what I need, without resorting to Dropbox synchronisation?

If not, is there a way I can manually transport my 1Pv5 vault to my Windows vault? When I tried to backup my vault on my Mac, move it to my Windows computer and use the Restore feature, I got told that the backup was not a valid 1Password vault.

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Hi @Belazor,

When I was looking through 1Pv4 for Windows, I could only find a way to sync a new vault to my iOS devices, but not a way to receive synchronisations.

The Wi-Fi sync is bi-directional, 1Password for Windows will pull and receive data via Wi-Fi sync. You do need to switch vaults in the Windows app to sync with the right vault on your iOS device.

However, if I understand what you're asking, you need 1Password on Windows to pull in a new vault from the iOS app, is this correct? One way you can do this is to create a new identical vault in the Windows app first and then perform the Wi-Fi sync like that. However, this hasn't been tested yet, so I'm not entirely sure this will work. We'll test and see how this works.

If not, is there a way I can manually transport my 1Pv5 vault to my Windows vault?

Do you use any local sync tool or network drives in your home network? The Mac App can create sync files via Folder Sync that you can push to your Windows PC with your own tool on PC.

When I tried to backup my vault on my Mac, move it to my Windows computer and use the Restore feature, I got told that the backup was not a valid 1Password vault.

This is because the Windows app does not use the same database structure as the Mac app. You have to ask the Mac App to create the sync file using Folder Sync and you can then use that sync file to open up in 1Password for Windows.

• Belazor
    Belazor
    Community Member
    Options

The WiFi Sync option in Windows simply gave me a new key, which I didn't want to enter in my iOS device out of fear this would overwrite the vault on my iOS device. I'll make some backups and test it out for myself, thanks :)

I didn't realise the Folder Sync option even existed, I'll definitely try that out alongside the bi-directional WiFi sync when I'm in the office tomorrow.

I appreciate your time, especially on a Sunday. Thank you :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Belazor,

We look forward to hearing the results of your sync testing. And on behalf of Mike, you're most welcome. :)

• Belazor
    Belazor
    Community Member
    Options

I'm happy to report that the sync worked exactly as I'd hoped, with the empty Windows vault being populated by the entries from the iOS vault.

I think you guys should consider a direct computer-to-computer LAN sync option, as this would cut out the "middle man" (personally, I don't need my passwords on my iOS device quite as frequently) but it's only an extra minute or two added to the process of keeping the two computers in sync, which is perfectly acceptable to me :)

I'm very pleased with how 1P is working thus far, the interface is gorgeous and the performance is brilliant. The problem I had with LP was that when I put my laptop to sleep on one network, and woke it up on another, it would cause severe computer slowdown for up to several minutes, before finally telling me I needed to re-login. Not brilliant, considering I do this twice a day every single day.
    1P being local storage only has none of these issues.

Thanks again, and thank you for your hard work on this product :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Belazor,

I'm so glad to hear that sync worked exactly as you wanted! Whoo!

Thanks also for your feedback - it's great to know where 1Password is doing well, and where we could polish things up a little bit more.

I hope 1Password works perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any further questions, you know where to find us!

This discussion has been closed.