Global shortcut 1Password Mini vs. browser extension

Options
PaulNX
PaulNX
Community Member

Hi,

As I stated elsewhere (as a comment in an older thread), I recently switch directly from 1Password 3 to 1Password 5. I changed the browser extension on Chrome (deleted the old one, installed new one, re-launched Chrome). Since then the CMD + / is not working.

However, I have noticed that for the browser extension to work in the first place, 1Password Mini must be running. I can invoke the Mini interface while working in my browser with the use of a global keyboard shortcut which can be set in 1Password General Preferences. In my case OPTION+/

I was wondering: what’s the use of the browser extension when Mini can fill the form just as well, generate strong passwords, etc. ?

Thanks a lot. Until I find a fix for the extension problem in Chrome, I’m relying on Mini.

P.

Comments

• Hi @PaulNX,

That's a great question, thanks for asking. How the extensions work has changed a lot since 1Password 3. The extension itself now basically just handles communication between 1Password Mini and the browser. So the fact that Mini can do anything at all with your browser means that the extension is doing its job.

I noticed that you mentioned "CMD + /" as the shortcut to fill or bring up the extension's interface. I haven't used 1Password 3 in a long time.. but the shortcut these days for filling in the browser is "CMD + \". Try that one out to see if it works.

The main difference between invoking 1Password via cmd+\ versus your custom mini shortcut of option+/ is that cmd+\ tells 1Password that it should automatically try to fill, and if everything is successful then no interface should show at all. Whereas your custom shortcut (or the default cmd-opt-) will always instruct the mini to show its interface to allow you to choose the action.

Does that clear things up?

Rick

• PaulNX
    PaulNX
    Community Member
    Options

Yes! It’s much clearer now. Thank you. I’ll tweak my preferences and see how it goes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PaulNX,

I'm so glad that Rick's post helped!

If you have any further questions about 1Password 5 (I know, it's a big shift from version 3!) please let us know - we're here for you. :)

Also, you're welcome to take a spin through our User Guides and Knowledgebase, which could help with the transition as well.

This discussion has been closed.