Customers who bought via Web Store more than 30 days ago

Options
Schnati
Schnati
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Well,

bought a family licence in the web store, upgraded to v5 and now iCloud sync is gone.
Nothing new, right? Telling the people to write an email to get help or a discount seemed to be a promising solution. In fact I received no help at all and the solution is to buy again the software for EACH Mac. That is not very customer friendly.

I will dump all licences, bought 1password for iPhone, iPad and the mentioned family licence.
A lot of money but I do not care and will switch to another solution.

Poor service, bad information policy and no flexibility at all.

A disappointed ex-customer

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I'm not sure what information you supplied to them when you requested assistance. Did you include the email address you used to make your purchase from their web store? If not, they likely have no way to review your records. Just a thought. If that's not related to the delay in hearing back, never mind the suggestion.

• Schnati
    Schnati
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Regarding patience.....here is the official answer from AgileBits

_Thank you for writing in to us - our apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

1Password 5 for Mac is a major release and one of the significant changes we made was a complete rewrite of iCloud syncing. 1Password 5 switched to the new Apple iCloud ‘CloudKit’ technology which is only available on OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, and limited to Mac App Store apps only. After this change we were no longer able to offer iCloud syncing in the Webstore version of 1Password.

I wanted to make sure that you had a chance to review some more information on iCloud and why the Mac App Store is the only version that has access to that particular sync option. Roustem, one of our founders, has written a blog post on the iCloud rewrite and I’d like to share it with you:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2014/10/21/about-icloud-changes-in-1password-5/

The only way to re-enable iCloud is to purchase directly from the Mac App Store. Unfortunately there is no way for us to transfer your purchase from our store to Apple’s. This is a key feature we’ve been wanting Apple to add to the App Store for years as it would make transitions like these much simpler.

Your purchase was made more than 30 days ago and I am not able to provide a refund. If you are still interested in the Mac App Store version, you will need to purchase it directly. We have currently placed the app on sale to allow people to purchase at a discounted price.

There are alternative ways to sync your data, so you are not required to purchase from the Mac App Store, as our Webstore version has other syncing options available. I’d be happy to help you transition to WiFi or Dropbox sync.

For more information on WiFi sync, you can see our guide here:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/switching-to-wi-fi

For more information on Dropbox sync, you can see our guide here:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/switching-to-dropbox

I understand that this can be a confusing transition, and I’m sorry about that. I’ll be happy to help with any questions you may have enabling the new sync option.

Take care and please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Kyle Swank
    Ambassador of Swank
    AgileBits_

So, where is the hint for having patience?

Mike

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Schnati‌ Obviously if you're insist that you want to dump 1Password than that is your prerogative, it just seems a little extreme.

1. AgileBits are assisting customers in your situation*, it's just I believe there is a backlog that they're struggling to get through. * I'll try and find the link where they said that.
    2. Does each Mac have its own unique Apple account associated with it? Say you own multiple machines and so using the same Apple account on each one, then it's a single purchase that covers all of those machines. I haven't tested it out but MAS also refers to Family Sharing, the ability to link and share purchases between multiple Apple accounts meaning that you may be able to cover multiple family machines. I know family Sharing has been talked a lot about in reference to iTunes purchases but oddly I haven't heard as much mentioned about the Mac App Store - don't know why.

They haven't done this to you on purpose. As of Yosemite Apple decided to enforce the restrictions that iCloud syncing is limited to MAS purchases but up until now they hadn't been. As I said earlier, they are helping everybody out who relies on iCloud syncing (Dropbox still works regardless of which version you purchased). My understanding is there is a queue that they're getting through as fast as they can. What they can't do is simply offer a discount to those that purchased it already from them as there isn't a way to selectively do so - the MAS isn't that flexible. So the 30% discount they're currently offering is for anyone.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

That post at the top of this forum does indicate that the only option for the AgileBits web store version more than 30 days ago is to purchase again from the Mac App Store, albeit on sale. So I'd say there has been a revaluation of policy at AgileBits.

I'm a web store buyer myself. I've been mostly using Dropbox, but I do regret not having the option to use iCloud. But I'm confident that the real security for my data is my strong master password, not the cloud solution I'm using. So I'm OK with this. I do think this should push the developers to quickly implement opvault for Dropbox, though.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here! I appreciate your understanding, and I'll be sure that our developers know that you're keen to see opvault everywhere soon (that seems like a more than reasonable request!)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Well, my understanding is somewhat limited, since it wasn't very long ago that your company promised that anyone who purchased from the web store wouldn't have to pay again to change over to the MAS if they relied on iCloud syncing. Although I'm not worried myself about not having access to iCloud anymore, some are, and I do understand their frustration and, indeed, anger, given the earlier promise.

You folks are in a tough spot. I don't envy you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

Believe me, I completely understand that this has been a rough change in policy for users. I don't blame them for feeling frustrated either!

This discussion has been closed.