Downgrading to 1PW4

Options
Kidding
Kidding
Community Member

Hello,

I just clicked on the upgrade notification for 1PW5, because I saw that it was a free upgrade and improves security etc etc.

Upon installing, I discovered that I could no longer use iCloud to sync and that I would have to pay for the new app in order to use that function. Can you please tell me how I can downgrade to version 4? I have no interest in any new features of v5 and I want to use iCloud for sync as I have been doing without an issue.

Thank you.

Comments

• Kidding
    Kidding
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. I found the legacy 1PW4 on the website and installed that, but iCloud sync doesn't seem to be working. And I received the upgrade notification again (to version 5), re-read it, and there is no mention that it will break your iCloud sync, as far as I could see. Please help me get back to where I was.

• Kidding
    Kidding
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, not syncing. For some reason I'm told in 1PW4 on the Mac (Yosemite) that the data is stored in iCloud Drive, but I have explicitly not upgraded to iCloud Drive because I am not using iOS8 on my iPhone. Could 1PW4 be storing 1PW data on iCloud Drive while the phone isn't able to access that (even though I have not "upgraded" to iCloud Drive in Yosemite)?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kidding‌ As upgrading to the new iCloud is a one-off action (no way to reverse your decision) it's pretty hard to check on my system now I've made that plunge. In System Preferences : iCloud are you asked if you want to upgrade to iCloud Drive or something similar? If you aren't and the top entry of the list of iCloud components is iCloud Drive then that might explain what 1Password 4 is reporting (or I suspect Yosemite is as 1Password 4 isn't aware of iCloud Drive or CloudKit).

If for whatever reason your Apple account has been upgraded to the new iCloud then you're out of luck I'm afraid. 1Password for (both iOS and OS X) can't communicate as it requires CloudKit which is a big part of the changes between versions 4 and 5. In that case your options would be consider Dropbox as an alternative or synchronisation via WiFi. To re-enable iCloud usage you'd need 1Password 5 from the Mac App Store and all your iOS devices would have to be running iOS 8 and 1Password 5. You don't mention if you can run iOS 8 or simply don't want to yet but either way it sounds like you've already made that decision, at least for the meanwhile.

If all indicators are that 'upgrade' hasn't been made post back here.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi guys!

Thanks @littlebobbytables‌ for your awesome reply :+1:

@Kidding‌ did @littlebobbytables‌ reply help you figure it out?

Basically if you wish to use the old iCloud sync in 1Password 4 for Mac you need the following:

• Your iCloud account to not have been upgraded to iCloud Drive.
    • 1Password 4 for iOS
    • 1Password 5 for Mac
    • To use the same Apple ID on both devices

For more information about the changes in iCloud, please refer to the About iCloud changes in 1Password 5 post from our Blog.

Hope that this helps!

Rad

This discussion has been closed.