1PasswordAnywhere Causing Unresponsive Script When Trying to Unlock in Firefox 24

Options
PilotConway
PilotConway
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

I am trying to use 1PasswordAnywhere through Dropbox. I can load the login screen, but when I try to unlock the browser freezes for a while until I get an unresponsive script error. I will never get it to unlock or show me an incorrect password notification. The line numbers are not always the same, but they are generally whats listed at the bottom of this post.

I have selected don't ask again and continue. I let it run for about 2-3 minutes but it still never unlocked. I checked top quickly while this was running and firefox was taking ~100% of one of the CPUs.

I have also tried the right password and wrong passwords. I have also tried a single character as the password. All of those have resulted in unresponsive script prompt. I never get a incorrect password notification or anything of the sort.

I went to another box that only had firefox 10 on it and tried the same setup, 1PasswordAnywhere through Dropbox, and it worked flawlessly, unlocking in a couple of seconds.

Also, for clarification, I am not trying to run 1PasswordAnywhere as a local file which I know is unsupported by Firefox, I am trying to run directly from the Dropbox website.

Firefox Versions Tested

• 24.3.0 (Fails)
  • 24.4.0 (Fails)
  • 10.0.11 (Works)

Errors in the Unresponsive Script Dialog

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.
Script: https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/1Password.html?_subject_uid=646761&w=AACKS_vYFgAOp33Z9N4u1dOFEwj9xinCshYLzaJWT7C-mg:1143

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.
Script: https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/1Password.html?_subject_uid=646761&w=AACKS_vYFgAOp33Z9N4u1dOFEwj9xinCshYLzaJWT7C-mg:1149

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PilotConway,

I'm sorry you're having trouble unlocking 1PasswordAnywhere with a couple versions of Firefox 24. I wasn't able to reproduce this problem with Firefox 28.0 on 10.9.2 accessing different keychains in Dropbox.

Which version of OS X are you running and are you able to upgrade to a newer version of Firefox on it? The minimum Mozilla Firefox 24 System Requirements and Mozilla Firefox 28 System Requirements are the same.

Have you tried using a different (non-Firefox) browser? How many items are in the keychain and is it accessible without any issue using the 1Password application?

Thanks in advance for that additional information!

• PilotConway
    PilotConway
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

I guess I should preface I am an a Linux box here at work, which is why I am using Anywhere versus my Mac back at home. I am on CentOS 6.4. Also when I tried Firefox 10 which worked flawlessly, that was also on a CentOS 6.4 box. Sadly I do not have access to any other browsers or versions of Firefox here. I didn't see any dedicated place to put Anywhere issues so I figured since my main 1Password was Mac this would be the best place.

I have about 340 items in my keychain.

Also I did some inspection with the web inspector. I do see the following error when I load the page (before logging in or anything):

[09:33:43.503] SyntaxError: missing ; before statement @ https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/1Password.html?_subject_uid=646761&w=AACKS_vYFgAOp33Z9N4u1dOFEwj9xinCshYLzaJWT7C-mg

Other than that I don't see any issues or files that fail to load.

• PhilippeAG
    PhilippeAG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PilotConway‌

Can you tell me when you created this keychain in Dropbox ? Also how fast is that computer compared to your Mac ?

We have this "calibration routine" which increases the number of iterations required to decrypt the master keys; if your Mac is super fast compared to your other box it just might take a while.

• PilotConway
    PilotConway
    Community Member
    Options

I think I created it around fall of 2012 originally.

My Mac is a mid 2013 MacBook Air 13" with an i7 and 8gb of Ram. My work computer is an Dell with an 8 core Xeon and 16gb of Ram. The work one is definitely much more powerful.

• PhilippeAG
    PhilippeAG
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Great there goes my best guess. @PilotConway‌ .

Let's try another known issue. Could you start firefox in safe-mode ? (firefox -safe-mode -no-remote -new-instance) And see if that works better ? There's some addons that are known to cause issues with 1PAnywhere.

I'm currently on Debian here, so I tried on Iceweasel 24 and it worked flawlessly for me so we can definitively get it to work with Firefox 24.

• PilotConway
    PilotConway
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, acts exactly the same.

Also as far as I know this is the firefox straight from the CentOS yum repo and I don't have any addons either.

• GenXos
    GenXos
    Community Member
    Options

I have had the same issue with centOS 6.5 and Firefox 31.1. I get the unresponsive script error, when I click continue it takes some time but eventually logs in. Has there been any progress on this issue and what is causing it? The amount of time I takes to log in really is not conducive to being able to work efficiently.

• Hi guys,

We can't reproduce it, so we're not sure what's causing it.

Can you guys try Chromium or Opera if possible? At least both of you are using CentOS, so it might be isolated to that.

• PilotConway
    PilotConway
    Community Member
    Options

Finally upgraded again, and I can confirm I am having the issue as well in 31.1. Does seem to be a CentOS thing.

What's weird is SeaMonkey works fine on the same box. If I had another box lying around I would try a fresh install of CentOS and see if I can reproduce it at home but don't.

• Hi @PilotConway,

I think the issue is with the CentOS repo hosting the Firefox builds, they may have added or modified something that affects how the local Javascript files are being run.

I thought you can't run other browsers on the same box? Can you try compiling Firefox directly from Mozilla's source instead?

• PilotConway
    PilotConway
    Community Member
    Options

Well out of the major ones Firefox is the only one I can get. Turns out SeaMonkey is available (and easily forgotten lol). As far as I know those are the two.

We have restrictions on what we can put on so I'm at the whim of what they decide to let in. I generally only have access to EPEL. Ill see if I can compile next week.

• Let me know how it turns out. I'll see if we can install CentOS and test it internally to see what's going on.

• PilotConway
    PilotConway
    Community Member
    Options

Did some snooping around and got it to work finally in my EPEL version of Firefox. Seems the JIT compiler is disabled by default. I went to about:config and changed javascript.options.baselinejit to true.

Not only does allow 1Password to work now, but everything has sped up tremendously (for obvious reasons).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PilotConway‌

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're up and running - that's awesome! :)

This discussion has been closed.