If i purchased 4 via web site do i have to purchase 5 again via app store to get icloud sync?

Options
hervejb
hervejb
Community Member

If i purchased 4 via web site do i have to purchase 5 again via app store to get icloud sync?

Comments

• hervejb
    hervejb
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

• Ben
    Options

Hi @hervejb‌

The answer to your question (as well as many more) can be found here:

The short answer is yes: iCloud syncing requires the Mac App Store version of the application. If you purchased recently we may be able to arrange for a refund. Details in the above post.

Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @yyteoh‌

As of writing, if you'd like to purchase 1Password 5 for Mac from the Mac App Store to sync with CloudKit the sale price is $34.99, not $45.

If you'd rather not purchase from the Mac App Store we'd be happy to help you get set up with either Dropbox or WiFi syncing. We've always stated that customers wishing to sync via iCloud should purchase from the Mac App Store, as we weren't certain what future Apple would decide for applications purchased outside the MAS (with regards to iCloud syncing). Now Apple has made CloudKit MAS only. For a number of reasons, many described in the FAQ post I linked above, we believe CloudKit is the best way forward for syncing 1Password with iCloud.

I apologize for the frustration this has caused.

Thanks.

Ben

• sharkb8
    sharkb8
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, agreed. You guys can go on a and on with tedious explanations as to why this or that technology won't allow you connect these two different versions of the same program, but the bottom line is, YOU HAVE TO FIGURE HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS, most of whom (like me) have been with you from Day One. If you, Mr Agile Bits representative, were being treated this way by any other software outfit, you'd be outraged and you know it. Figure out all the people who bought the version 4 from your own website, who were assured it was identical to any other version, and GIVE THEM new licenses on request which allow full-featured use, or some variation thereof. It can be done and easily, and you know it. I left Quicken because of similar breathtaking mismanagement, and on the way out the door I told them I would spend a portion of whatever time I have left on this earth advising people in every way possible, in every online forum I could find, what management choices Intuit knowingly made to screw their customers - if I have to add agilebits to that list, so be it, but you guys KNOW this is really, really bad PR. And it will get worse before it gets better, you're probably going to be cornered into making concessions eventually, so you might as well get out in front of it, try to minimize the damage before it's too late, if it isn't already. Demanding that people buy the same program all over again.....honestly. Wow, from the best software around to the worst management decisions, that's quite a fall from grace....

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2014
    Options

@sharkb8‌

YOU HAVE TO FIGURE HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS

And we are. We'd be happy to help you set up one of the sync technologies supported by the web store version of 1Password. If you'd prefer to use iCloud sync, 1Password 5 for Mac is available for $34.99 for a limited time in the Mac App Store, and has the latest and greatest iCloud sync technology. If you've made a recent purchase from us, please drop us an email and we'll refund it if we're able to do so.

who were assured it was identical to any other version

I don't believe we've ever stated that, and in fact whenever asked about it we've mentioned that we couldn't be sure what limitations the future would bring for iCloud and as such anyone wishing to sync with iCloud should purchase from the Mac App Store.

GIVE THEM new licenses on request which allow full-featured use, or some variation thereof. It can be done and easily,

I wish that were true. We have no way of easily giving people copies of the software from the Mac App Store. Apple only gives us a limited number of promo codes per version release, and those go quite quickly (we'd never have even a fraction of the number we'd need to move everyone over). We also can't issue refunds for purchases from the Mac App Store [in short: it isn't our store].

ref: VTL-85254-924

• sharkb8
    sharkb8
    Community Member
    Options

These agile bits folks came up with a brilliant, utterly magical piece of software, among the best ever....and now they are saying to us, presumably with a straight face, that their wonderful technical team is just stumped by the idea of getting new ownership licenses into some customers hands. "Nope, two different pieces of software, can't be done". C'mon guys, if you're looking me in the eye and expecting me to believe that, then you can add intelligence-insult to the list of transgressions. I'll give them a few more days to come to their senses, but if they are going draw a line in the sand with this and insist that some of their customers have buy the same thing twice but some don't in order to get a full-featured product, well then, it's time to organize and get VERY VERY LOUD. Time to flood Twittition, ipetitions, Macworld, iMore, Gizmodo, the list is endless. Viral bad publicity can almost always be prevented by common sense management, but that ball has always been in your court, agile bits. Consider doing the right thing.

• Thanks for writing back to us sharkb8. I love that you think our software is that great - we appreciate that! Unfortunately, the Mac App Store has limitations, and the ability to transfer licenses from a non-Mac App Store purchase to Apple's App store does not exist. As you already know, we have been going through each persons request individually, and our team has already found your license and refunded your order, so that you can purchase directly from the Mac App Store to re-enable iCloud sync. We are trying to do what's best for our customers, and our small support team is working around the clock trying to reach everyone.

• sjnoller
    sjnoller
    Community Member
    Options

So if you yell loud enough you get a refund.

I followed what Megan (staff) said in other posts and submitted a request to support under the understanding they would sort out this mess for their customers and ensure satisfaction.
    I finally got a reply saying go to the Mac store and purchase again.
    As you can image I am so pissed off at this attitude and have been left with a very sour taste in my mouth.
    Far from happy with this whole episode and the way it has been handled!

• Ben
    Options

So if you yell loud enough you get a refund.

If we're able to issue a refund for your purchase from us (if it was recent enough, the exact timeframe depends on your payment method, but generally 30 days) we will. No yelling necessary.

• raaraah
    raaraah
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Man, this is bad.

Been waiting reply since 18th, but it seems like AgileBits "direction" of how this is gonna get solved has changed drastically. Instead of finding solutions, we have to buy MAS version again.

I'm not holding breath anymore of getting decent reply for my email.

Also the main forum post seems to be deleted, which had 7 pages of messages for people who bought the AgileBits Store version. I'm pretty sure forum mods said there we don't have to buy the product again.

Back in 2012 when I bought 1password straight from AgileBits there was no information that iCloud sync wasn't supported "officially", or if there was, it required few hours or being Sherlock Holmes on internet forums.

Let me tell you this, buying a new version doesn't make me smile nor answer that says you can use Dropbox.

Sorry if I came out as little bit hostile, but not getting any answers and change of "attitude" on forum mod posts is not okay.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the note, @raaraah‌. We're getting to everyone as quickly as we can. I imagine you'll be hearing back from our email team today! :)

ref: LIN-41576-731

• raaraah
    raaraah
    Community Member
    Options

Well I did receive the reply.

Too bad it told me to buy the software again.

Reply being generic copy+paste is just bad customer service after such delay.

Also you've edited my post, so it doesn't show the messages from your forum mods that we don't have to pay for the software again.

Guess that's one way to lose a customer :).

• Ben
    Options

Hi @raaraah‌

I'm sorry we were unable to provide a refund. Each credit card issuer is a little different, but most of them only allow us to refund for up to 30 days or so. We'd be happy to help you switch to another sync method if you'd like, but if you'd prefer to stick with iCloud unfortunately purchasing from the MAS is the only solution.

Ben

• raaraah
    raaraah
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

For me it's not about money -- it's about equal customer service. Earlier I was really hoping for reply that would keep me as a customer. But if directions how to handle these situations changed in last week, I understand.

• Ben
    Options

@raaraah‌

We're removing that text as it is not a feasible solution going forward. Thanks.

• We appreciate your comments, we truly do. We are doing everything we can to get back to each customer, individually, searching their purchase history to see if we can provide a direct refund. Many, like yourself, have already received more than one reply from our team, indicating a purchase cannot be refunded as it was purchased last year. The Mac App Store does not allow for webstore purchase conversions, and promo codes are not an option with their limited numbers. As Dave mentioned in his post, hindsight is 20-20 and at this point, we can only continue to handle the individual emails, and ask for patience and understanding as we try to get to everyone.

This discussion has been closed.