Suddenly won't update password

Options
charlie999
charlie999
Community Member

Messing around with the Safari extensions I've removed it from the Safari Library as per a thread on here hoping to get it working ok an reinstalled it.

I was then testing it when I change a password at a site it does not offer me the option to save the new password to the login but it creates one in the Passwords folder whee I have to manually copy and paste it over.

I seem to remember last week it offering to save the new details?

I can understand on one test I did as the password update page's url was way off the main site but I have also tested it on a site when the main url was the same?

Any ideas?

Comments

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried with my 1Password forum account and it worked perfectly!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You really quite sure you're not possibly running two versions of 1P (as MikeT's suggestion here in your other thread), aren't you?

It does sound to me you'd do well submitting the diagnostic report he suggested.

Stephen

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

**Lenient URL matching

Disabled by default

Lenient URL matching determines how picky the browser extensions are about matching your saved Logins to the current URL. When enabled, 1Password will only look at the main domain (google.com) not the subdomain (mail.google.com, accounts.google.com). Any Logins marked as Favorites will appear at the top, followed by the rest of the matching Logins, listed alphabetically.**

This is a copy from the manual. Just to clear it up for me when enabled will it associate a web site to that login and therefor update the password change as long as Google.com is somewhere in the web

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

I'll di that later tonight.

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

When i get home

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @charlie999,

Just to clear it up for me when enabled will it associate a web site to that login and therefor update the password change as long as Google.com is somewhere in the web

Lenient URL matching is used to determine which Logins fit with which sites. For example, as an employee of AgileBits, I have a lot of different Logins saved for agilebits.com: discussions.agilebits.com, blog.agilebits.com ... and the list goes on. If 'Lenient URL Matching' is enabled, whenever I visit any log in page on the agilebits.com website, I will see all of my Logins, regardless of which subdomain ('discussions', 'blog', whatever) I am on. If I turn off 'Lenient URL Matching', 1Password's matching of the domain and subdomains becomes more precise, so I will only see my 'discussions' Login when I am on discussions.agilebits.com, not blog.agilebits.com.

Does that make sense?

The 'Lenient URL Matching' option should have little to do with if 1Password offers to save your Login when you change a password for a site.

when I change a password at a site it does not offer me the option to save the new password to the login but it creates one in the Passwords folder whee I have to manually copy and paste it over.

There are some sites where 1Password may not recognize that you are changing a password and might not offer to save it. We're working on making 1Password smarter here - if you let me know what site you were visiting when 1Password failed to prompt you to save, I'd be happy to tell our developers to take a look.

It's great to hear though that your generated password was saved into the 'Passwords' category. It's easy to move this password into your existing Login - simply copy from the Password entry, and paste into your Login entry. :)

I hope this helps!

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

That makes perfect sense thanks for explaining that further. The failsafe of saving the password is good so you don't lose it just would be nice if it self updated.

The sites that it did not ask to save were

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/home
    https://www.adobe.com/uk/account.html

Looks like the plugin is working OK now for me since I deleted the Database and Extensions folder in the Safari Library. There were 2 extensions in the folder but only one showing through preferences.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @charlie999,

I'm so glad that my explanation helped, and that the plugin seems to be behaving for you after removing that folder!

I'll pass those URLs along to our filling team. :)

This discussion has been closed.