How do I use 1Password with my mobile banking apps on my iPhone?

ebetwalsh
ebetwalsh
Community Member

I recently purchased the 1Password apps on my mac and on my iPhone. I already have mobile banking apps, installed on my phone, for Bank of America and for First National Bank. When I set up 1Password, on my mac, I used the "generate new password" feature to increase the security for all of my logins. However, I do not know what those passwords are, since the whole point of the app is to keep track of them for me. I use the mobile banking apps to make deposits - a feature not available on the regular website. How do I use 1Password to fill in the passwords within the mobile banking apps?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ebetwalsh, welcome to the forums!

To use your 1Password data in other apps on an iOS device, you can copy and paste from the 1Password app. 1Password makes this easy as you can simply tap on the username or password to copy it. 1Password will then clear out the clipboard within a given time period to ensure that your important information does not stay in the clipboard after you no longer have a need for it.

I hope this helps, and I hope you're enjoying 1Password 4 for Mac and iOS!

• ebetwalsh
    ebetwalsh
    Community Member

Thank you!

• bnelsonr
    bnelsonr
    Community Member

I have the same issue. I understand the work around & it does work.
    Is there a way to have 1password log into the iso app directly instead of the browser? Have the bank show up twice in 1Password, one web & one iso?

• yenic
    yenic
    Community Member

I am afraid that the moment the work around suggested above is the only way. It is more tedious but I accept the fact that the password is much stronger and I don't have to pick my brain to try to remember it. Sure would be nice to have a seamless solution in the future even if you have to build it yourself from tools provided in the app. With the number of proprietary apps out there, it would be difficult to have a built in blanket solution.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bnelsonr,

I'm glad to hear the workaround works for you. Unfortunately, as @yenic says, currently the workaround is the only way. This is because Apple has some pretty strict sandboxing regulations in place that govern how apps can interact with each other. Essentially, no interaction is allowed without the express permission of the other app. So, 1Password cannot do anything inside your bank's app unless the developers of that app integrate some 1Password compatibility. There are several apps that have already done so, and you can check them out here: Apps that Love 1Password. If Apple ever changes these regulations, we'd be happy to implement auto-filling in other apps. :)

• no_clouds_please
    no_clouds_please
    Community Member

It can be worse. My bank's mobile app won't allow pasting of the login name, password, or security question, no matter where they are copied from in iOS 7. So I have to use 1browser.

• @no_clouds_please Ya, unfortunately there are a few apps out there that prevent pasting in the password field. It's too bad, as it's a very annoying barrier for 1Password users. If you haven't already, it might be worth emailing your bank and providing your feedback about this.

• kjfleez
    kjfleez
    Community Member

I still could not figure it out on how to use 1PW for bank app that is already on my iPhone. I re-read the instruction and did not help much. I do not want to connect browser like safari, all I want is to use 1PW connecting the app that is already installed on the phone. Please provide the step by step instruction?

• @kjfleez‌

The only way to login to a 3rd party app that does not explicitly support 1Password is to copy & paste your credentials. We cannot integrate with apps that have not added support for our extension.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.