Sync issues after upgrading to Yosemite [Resolved]

Options
sammorrill
sammorrill
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hi there,

I've seen several threads where users are experiencing different issues pertaining to 1Password sync after upgrading to Yosemite/iCloud Drive, but I haven't found one that addresses my issue. Basically, I have 1Password installed on a mid-2009 MBP, a 1st generation MBP with Retina and my iPhone 5. Both MBP's are running Yosemite and the iPhone is running iOS 8.1. Ever since upgrading to Yosemite, I have been unable to sync the mid-2009 MBP with the other two devices. I had been using iCloud sync for the last year or so, but once I noticed these sync issues, I tried switching all the devices over to Dropbox sync. I was able to successfully sync the iPhone and the MBP Retina with Dropbox, but when I tried to sync the mid-2009 MBP with Dropbox, 1Password just kept syncing in perpetuity and never finished after several hours. I then tried switching back to iCloud drive and have run into the same issue with the mid-2009 MBP. I have about 300 items stored in 1Password. What should I do here?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sammorrill‌ Do you have any items that are exclusively in the vault on the mid-2009 MBP? If it were me I'd ensure my two other devices that are syncing have the most up-to-date vault and then I'd wipe 1Password from the mid-2009 MBP and have it start afresh. There's a guide with all the steps for starting over. Now if you're unsure or this one has a lot of altered entries making such a suggestion infeasible then post back here and somebody will post another suggestion I'm sure.

• Hi @sammorrill,

I've seen several threads where users are experiencing different issues pertaining to 1Password sync after upgrading to Yosemite/iCloud Drive

Majority of these are related to the fact that we cannot support iCloud Sync anymore in the website/beta/trial versions of 1Password. iCloud Sync is now restricted to the Mac App Store version of 1Password.

Since you use Dropbox, you're good to keep using 1Password as it works in any versions.

but when I tried to sync the mid-2009 MBP with Dropbox, 1Password just kept syncing in perpetuity and never finished after several hours.

1Password doesn't sync your data on the Mac, it is the Dropbox service on your Mac that syncs your files in the background.

We've seen a number of reports of users on Yosemite saying that they needed to reinstall Dropbox to get it to sync right.

Can you try reinstalling Dropbox first and see if it'll work?

I then tried switching back to iCloud drive and have run into the same issue with the mid-2009 MBP.

Do not try to switch back and forth between the sync services that often, you could get the data mixed up a bit by causing sync conflicts. For now, please stick with Dropbox as it works fine with your other Mac and iOS device.

Here's the next step you should do:

1. Open 1Password on the '09 MBP, disable the sync in the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Sync. Don't turn on anything yet
    2. Reinstall Dropbox from dropbox.com and wait until it finishes syncing everything which may take a while if you have a lot of data that hasn't been downloaded
    3. After it is done syncing, re-enable the sync with Dropbox in the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Sync

That should be enough to fix the problem. Please let me know how it turns out.

• sammorrill
    sammorrill
    Community Member
    Options

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. I tried both solutions, starting with MikeT's. Unfortunately, reinstalling Dropbox didn't do it for me (I kept the folder itself intact, which might be the reason why). Fortunately, following the 1Password guide to start over worked for me and I've been able to get all three of my devices working via iCloud Drive.

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Sam

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Sam,

I'm so glad to hear that things are working smoothly for you now - thanks for letting us know!

Since this issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.