Trying to move from keepass to 1password

It's taken be a while because 1password isn't open source. I've finally gotten over that. It seems too convenient to use in firefox and iOS.

If it would work.

I have no icon in Firefox. I've searched and have found people who were trying to use old versions of FF and there were work arounds for them, but my Firefox is current and I can find no information on what to do when your icon is missing. I have searched in the customize menu and it is not there. Apparently the extension is working because the right-click menu does work. It's not exactly handy, though. I may as well stick with keepass, you know? And if I open the Windows application and ask it to open a site, it will do that but for whatever reason will not fill in the username and password. Again, I may as well stick with keepass.

I haven't even installed the iOS app yet because I'm growing more and more skeptical by the moment. What's it going to be like when I try to import my keepass settings? I'm almost afraid to find out.

Finally, you wouldn't ordinarily need all those sill security question answers when using a password manager, but one of my banks will randomly ask them anyway, and another bank will ask for the answers every time I call them. So I need to keep them in the password manager, preferably. They're a notes field in keepass for this but not in 1password (at least through the browser extension).

Comments

• AlwaysFrustrated
    AlwaysFrustrated
    Community Member

Nevermind. I just tried this thing on iOS and for apps like Wells Fargo it's even less convenient than keepass. Gotta do the same thing you do with keepass (minimize the bank app and switch to the password manager) but copying the info requires two presses, and you also have to authenticate with your fingerprint each time. I don't know why people are so in love with 1password. Sticking with keepass and will check in on you guys in a year or two. Bye.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

I can find no information on what to do when your icon is missing.

How about the Missing 1Password button article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase? Does that help?

if I open the Windows application and ask it to open a site, it will do that but for whatever reason will not fill in the username and password.

1Password used to work that way, but it should fill the opened form and fill in your saved credentials. We'll be happy to work with you, to figure out what might be going wrong, if you're willing. I can tell you that it's working for others.

I just tried this thing on iOS...

You'll get better assistance with 1Password for iOS in the 1Password for iOS forum, but I can tell you that iOS is a completely different kind of OS than Windows, with all kinds of cross-app restrictions that don't exist in Windows.

Sticking with keepass and will check in on you guys in a year or two. Bye.

Thank you for your interest in 1Password! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

• AlwaysFrustrated
    AlwaysFrustrated
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I was frustrated like my username says. For me, at least, keepass just works better. I worked with this thing for several hours and it wouldn't work for me. I had technical problems (What you linked to is basic stuff...when I say the icon isn't there, it's not anywhere.) and when it did work it was cumbersome. I was surprised by that. Keepass is free and open source. The GUI looks 10 or 15 years old. You guys at least appear to be a big, slick company. I expected the experience to go smoothly but Keepass has you beat in everything but aesthetics. Even the FF browser extension was easy to set up and use. On iOS it's extremely simple.

You can do something for me. Delete my post. It's not going to help anyone I don't think, and most people will have different expectations/probably won't have the same kinds of frustrating results that I had. If it shows up as a Google search result one day it will just make your product look bad, and I didn't really set out to do that.

• revlisoft
    revlisoft
    Community Member

I was a long time keepass user and liked it so far except in the past few months where the iOS apps are (KyPass in particular) really falling behind which is the decision for me to move to a better supported product (iOS side that is).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the follow-up, @AF. For the record, we're a small, slick company. :)

This discussion has been closed.