Reinstalled 1Password App 5.1.1 - How to Restore Data?

Options
notatechie
notatechie
Community Member

I use 1Password on my iPhone, iPad, and MAC. Today I upgraded my MAC to Yosemite and I updated the iPad and iPhone to IOS 8.1. I then updated the 1Password app to version 5.1.1 on iPad and iPhone and 5.0 on MAC. The iPhone and iPad transitioned well. The update to my MAC, not so well. When I tried to open the app on my MAC, I received an error message that the application was damaged and that I needed to delete it and reinstall, which I did. I now have a fresh version of the app installed on the MAC but have been unable to restore the data. I tried the File/Restore and selected yesterday's backup, however, nothing happens. I've tried to close the app so I could try again but the app won't even quit. I finally had to turn my machine off in order to close the app. No better results on the 2nd try. I use iCloud to sync all the data. I read the post about potential problems with iCloud syncing depending on where the original app was purchased from. I don't know where I purchased the MAC copy of the app (or the others for that matter). I certainly hope I'm not one of those users who is now stranded with an app that won't sync through iCloud. Perhaps there is a simple solution, is anyone able to help?

Comments

• MikeT
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @notatechie,

I'm sorry about the problems you're having, it sounds like the issue is with the upgrade to Yosemite because based on your experience, it looks like permission issues. Let me explain further below your quotes here.

I now have a fresh version of the app installed on the MAC but have been unable to restore the data.

Reinstalling the app shouldn’t remove any data. It should’ve automatically take you to the previous data since the data file is stored separately from your app file on your drive.

I tried the File/Restore and selected yesterday's backup, however, nothing happens. I've tried to close the app so I could try again but the app won't even quit. I finally had to turn my machine off in order to close the app. No better results on the 2nd try.

It actually sounds like the upgrade to Yosemite didn’t go right. In this case, you might have severe permission issues that got mixed up from the upgrade. If the permission isn’t right, you won’t get access to your 1Password data.

I use iCloud to sync all the data. I read the post about potential problems with iCloud syncing depending on where the original app was purchased from.

In this case, it is not related to iCloud because we’re not dealing with remote data, we’re dealing with the local data on the drive itself. The fact that you can’t restore from the backup is also indicative of this since it has nothing to do with iCloud.

I don't know where I purchased the MAC copy of the app (or the others for that matter). I certainly hope I'm not one of those users who is now stranded with an app that won't sync through iCloud.

Open the Mac App Store on your Mac, go to the Purchases tab, and scroll down the list. If you bought 1Password at the Mac App Store, it will show up here.

In order to figure out what’s going on with your Mac, we need to see your diagnostic report. Can you email us your diagnostic report to support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread and please include your forum username here as well.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.