Sync: switched from DropBox to new iCloud Drive, problems

Options
dmbourdon
dmbourdon
Community Member

I've had an iPhone 6 with 1Password v5.1and iOS 8.02 for weeks...didn't upgrade to iCloud drive. I used DropBox to sync my vault file between iOS and OS X with no problems. Yesterday I upgraded to the latest Mac OS (Yosemite) and updated 1Password for Mac OS X. Since I'm now on Yosemite and iOS 8.02, I decided to activate my iCloud Drive and switch vault sync from DropBox sync to iCloud Drive. The sync doesn't work now.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks, David

Comments

• Hi @dmbourdon,

Can you explain more about what you're seeing as in what's not working exactly?

Also, are you using 1Password 5 at the Mac App Store or from our website?

• Ciprol
    Ciprol
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Same problem. 1Password 5.0.1 (Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite), 1Password 5.1 (iOS 8.0.2). Activated iCloud Drive on my account, working for both Mac and iOS. What I can see is that the Mac version of 1PW has created a vault on the drive and seemed to be able to update with any changes I make. However on the iPhone, 1PW is oblivious to the iCloud Drive. Nothing happens. In the Settings -> Sync screen, there's the 'Start Syncing' option. Clicking which come to the next screen with "Choose A Sync Method...". Tapping on 'Sync with iCloud' is unresponsive. There's an explanatory note at the bottom stating "iCloud depends on CloudKit..."

So what's the issue here? Does Agilebits need to update 1PW on iOS to a newer version to support iCloud Drive?

Edit: 1PW on iOS has now sync'ed after a reboot of my iPhone 6. However, it stated that it has sync'ed but it's not reflected on the iCloud Drive. The file created by 1PW Mac was untouched. It seems that 1PW on iOS and Mac have each created a file of their own. As such, there's no syncing b/n the Mac and iOS versions. Odd!!!

• Hi @ciprol,

Tapping on 'Sync with iCloud' is unresponsive.

That does sound like iOS was having issues with the iCloud service on the device, that may explain why you had to reboot your iOS devices to fix this.

However, it stated that it has sync'ed but it's not reflected on the iCloud Drive.

We do not use iCloud Drive, we’re using CloudKit sync, which is similar to iCloud Sync we had on prior versions of iOS and OS X. iCloud Sync/CloudKit and iCloud Drive are two separate services but uses the same iCloud account to store data.

You won’t see anything from 1Password in your iCloud Drive but you may see it in iCloud Drive > Manage Storage settings on either OS X or iOS.

. It seems that 1PW on iOS and Mac have each created a file of their own.

That’s not likely because the purpose of CloudKit is that it is enforcing the same data across all devices connected to that account.

Have you tried rebooting your Mac like you did with iOS devices? We’re seeing more people saying that reboots on both Mac and iOS would get things working.

If not, can you tell me what you see when you open 1Password on the Mac, unlock, and go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Sync. What’s the status there?

• Ciprol
    Ciprol
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thanks MikeT for the suggestions. After your and further reading, I guess there are two questions from me at this point,

1) 1PW Mac was able to successfully created a vault file on iCloud Drive. This suggests that 1PW Mac was working fine, not needing a reboot.

2) 1PW iOS was not able to see this vault file on iCloud Drive but worked elsewhere.

So given that there are two versions of 1PW Mac, my questions are,

a) Can 1PW iOS correctly use iCloud Drive like the way it uses Dropbox?

b) Is this present issue a result of my ownership of 1PW Mac (Agilebits store) instead of Mac App Store version? In other words, was 1PW iOS only expecting the sync file to be stored via CloudKit Sync?

Thanks again.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @Ciprol,

1) 1PW Mac was able to successfully created a vault file on iCloud Drive. This suggests that 1Password Mac was working fine, not needing a reboot.
    2) 1PW iOS was not able to see this vault file on iCloud Drive but worked elsewhere.

1Password does not use iCloud Drive nor does it store any vault files in iCloud Drive. You might be looking at migrated data from Apple when you chose to upgrade to iCloud Drive. For some reasons, Apple migrated some data files from the previous iCloud sync version of 1Password into iCloud Drive that shouldn't happen at all.

When you upgrade to 1Password 5 for iOS from 1Password 4 on the same iOS device, we migrate your data from a vault file into a database stored on CloudKit owned by your iCloud account.

a) Can 1Password iOS correctly use iCloud Drive like the way it uses Dropbox?

No, iCloud Drive is not supported in any way. It doesn't work for the type of format we use. CloudKit is an API that stores your data in a private database structure owned by your iCloud account. It is not directly accessible by users, only 1Password app itself can read from it and write to it via API calls to CloudKit servers.

iOS and OS X itself handles the data transport from CloudKit and to it for us. So if OS X and iOS processes are stuck, it can't sync anything. When you change something in 1Password itself, it is stored locally until OS X / iOS finishes the task. That's why reboots sometime fixes thing.

b) Is this present issue a result of my ownership of 1PW Mac (Agilebits store) instead of Mac App Store version? In other words, was 1Password iOS only expecting the sync file to be stored via CloudKit Sync?

1Password 5 for iOS is accessing the CloudKIt server via your iCloud account to read your 1Password database, the same way 1Password 5 for Mac does. CloudKit is the truth, both apps check against it to get the latest accurate data. That's why two separate set of data doesn't make sense because there can only be one database that 1Password checks against. Unless you're signed into two different iCloud accounts, then 1Password would be accessing a different database.

It sounds like there's something misconfigured here. To help us figure this out, please email us your diagnostic report for both Mac and iOS. This article will explain how to generate the report in both apps, please email it to us at to support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread.

By the way, just in case, you're not using 1Password's Folder Sync to store a vault onto iCloud Drive, right?

• Ciprol
    Ciprol
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks MikeT for the advice. At this stage, I think it's a 1PW Mac (Agilebits version) issue as this version doesn't have CloudKit functionality. Otherwise I did use the Folder Sync option on 1PW Mac to store a vault onto iCloud Drive, and that "worked" in generating such a file on iCloud Drive. I could see this file in Finder on the Mac.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ciprol,

I think it's a 1PW Mac (Agilebits version) issue as this version doesn't have CloudKit functionality.

You're correct, the webstore version of 1Password is not able to sync using iCloud in 1Password 5. Unfortunately, using Folder Sync to iCloud Drive, while a clever workaround, won't keep your data synced to iOS, because 1Password 5 for iOS is not looking for your data in iCloud Drive.

Please have a read-through our Web store and iCloud FAQ.

If you would like to switch to the Mac App Store version of 1Password to continue syncing with iCloud, please let us know and we'll help you out!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This is why I find the whole new iCloud confusing/messy. I get that iCloud Drive is built on CloudKit and that CloudKit is the library AgileBits use for synchronisation in 1Password 5. From the users point of view though iCloud synchronisation won't work (at least in OS X) unless iCloud Drive is enabled and 1Password Mini is authorised to store documents and data in iCloud.

I don't have time before work today to play about with my iPhone to see if this reflects what I've observed in the OS X version.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables‌

You're right, it is a bit confusing. One of our developers is actually working on a blog post to hopefully clarify things a bit - stay tuned!

• dmbourdon
    dmbourdon
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT and Megan, I purchased 1Password 4 via the web site...then upgraded to version 5. I now see that I need v5 from the App Store. Are you offering a refund so that I can then buy it on the App Store? Thanks!

PS By the way, I switched from eWallet 3 years ago and have never looked back :-)

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

AgileBits will look after you: see this post.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dmbourdon,

I found your email in our system and sent you a reply.

• Ciprol
    Ciprol
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like Agilebits is snowed under. My email from more than a week ago still hasn't been responded to by a human bean. Would appreciate a follow up. Thank you. [#ZIX-15129-883]

• markmcginn
    markmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I have 1Password on Mac....

1Password 5
    Version 5.0.2 (502007)
    Agile Web Store

Also on iPhone and iPad

Was using Dropbox for years but want to use iCloud, works on on my iPhone and iPad but on my Mac (OS 10.10) I cannot get the settings menu to display iCloud ! ahhhhhh

Been using your software for about 5 years, so frustrating that I can't get the Mac version to link into the iCloud, where are I going wrong ??

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Mark

• markmcginn
    markmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

I read a little more.... I see I need the version of 1Password from App Store.

But hang on, I have already paid you for 1Password and supported you through all the updates and purchases on iPad / iPhone.

Now you want me to pay again just to get the iCloud feature ???

Simply not acceptable

• markmcginn
    markmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

You know I have thought about this a little more and I am disappointed to say the least that you are making me repurchase, again, your product. Being a supporter of 1Password for years this leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

I get all the why you cannot etc arguments, but what you can do it give people iTunes codes to redeem against this App Store version, in view of being loyal supporters.

Dave T, you make the argument about buy a TV in Best Buy and bringing it to Walmart for repair, well this is a bit like buying the TV and then going back again to pay for it twice, which is effectively what you are asking me to do

Mark

• Hello All! We are continuing to work on getting to everyone individually.

@Ciprol - thank you for including your ticket number, you should see a response in your inbox from us directly.

@markmcginn - Do you have an email that we can look at for you? We've been looking at individual purchases to see if refunds can be made. We are truly sorry for this situation, and unfortunately, the Apple store does not provide a way to convert Webstore licenses to Mac App Store versions. As a long time user, I'm guessing you would have used something other than iCloud, as it is a feature only recently introduced. When we launched the 1Password 4 for Mac upgrade last year, we asked that anyone wanting iCloud purchase from the Mac App Store, as iCloud is a service controlled by Apple.

We've tried our best to help all our customers, responding to individual emails as quickly as we can. Something like a 1-day sale as you suggested would result in thousands more people who were upset they missed the sale. Also, spamming our webstore purchase email list is something we would never do - if you had no need for iCloud sync, or were using 1Password for Windows, it would be unneeded marketing, which could also result in more customer confusion. We would be more than happy to help in the transition to Dropbox or WiFi, so please let us know if we can be of assistance.

• markmcginn
    markmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

Sara PM sent to you, thanks

Mark

This discussion has been closed.