Buy Single Licens

Options
Mrnicoo
Mrnicoo
Community Member

Hi, I have a Mac Mini, one mac Air and One iMac... Do I need to buy 3 licenses or will one do it? I mean I have 3 Mac's

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

@Mrnicoo‌

One license will do you.

Our software is licensed per person and per platform, not per device. Each user and each platform requires a license. Licenses can be shared by up to six family members living in the same household.

From here AgileBits Software licenses

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

I've been using 1Password for about 3 years now. I'm currently using 1P5 on my 3 Macs (iMac, MB Pro, MB Air), and I've purchased 1Password for my iPad and Android phone. Are you saying I could install the same 1Password license on my WIFE'S MacBook Air?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thats a question for the staff.

cc/ @MikeT‌

Since they reworded it. (Specifically the last sentence) I am unsure of the wording and I would hate to steer you wrong.

Speaking candidly (and personally) the way I read it yes you could. But again I defer final judgement to the staff.

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

I've always liked the fact that I could use my purchased license on more than one computer. I've never entertained the idea of putting it on my wife's Mac because well....one license, one USER! It's kind of confusing when they say each license is per PERSON, yet it can be shared by up to six family members? Hmmm....

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

@robbski‌

Further reading form the above page :smile:

You, your spouse and your two children living in the same household use 1Password, each on their own Mac.

You can all share a single license.

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

Very cool. I obviously don't want my wife's Mac to use/see my nearly 200 logins. So I could install 1P5 on her Mac using my purchased license and set up her own keychain in HER Dropbox. Does that sound about right? Thanks, thightower!

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Yep, set up her Primary Vault, which would house all her logins etc. * Later on you could share a combined vault with her for logins that you may share.

In her Primary vault she can choose a Master Password of her choosing but I would suggest setting something good and secure to begin with. The wife and I just changed ours and its over 40 characters, numbers, symbols long. You would be surprised how easy it is to setup something that can be remembered easily. There are some good topics about choosing a Master Password here in the forums. Ill try to find them and add a couple of links here.

In my Primary are things like my login here etc. In the vault the wife and I share, are logins to the bank, utility companies etc along with all our software license keys and so forth.

Yes her keychain in her Dropbox, would also be correct.

• If later on you 2 decide to share a combined secondary vault, you would create the vault on your Mac, place it inside a folder in your Dropbox and share that folder with her Dropbox account. She would then add the vault to her 1Password by double clicking on the keychain. Make sure you only add it once all syncing has completed.
  • robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot! I greatly appreciate it. I've got one other question posted on the forum. When you get a chance, could you please elaborate on it for me? Thanks again!
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/30701/do-i-really-need-to-use-have-1password-mini-open#latest

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thightower. I created a new vault for my wife & I to share. When creating this vault, it asked for a password. I created a very long password for it, different than my Master password. Was I supposed to have the SAME password as my Primary vault? Because when I go online to the new Dropbox folder created to house the shared 1P5 keychain, when I click on the HTML file to access the logins (only one right now) it asks for the master password, but it will only take so many characters. The password I used to create the new shared vault is too long to use for the HTML file for 1Password Everywhere it seems. Now what do I do? Damn, it's always something, lately! :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@robbski‌

Looks like @MikeT‌ already got to your other question. :)

You can use different passwords, no need to keep them the same. I am not well versed with the 1PasswordAnywhere @MikeT or one of the other admins will need to comment on the password length. Honestly it should not matter as all it does is read from the keychain. I have seen occasion where a special character will cause it issue. In those cases its best to converse with the staff outside the forums. You will not reveal you password to them but its just more a private nature question IMHO.

If you simply want to access her vault you can follow what the wife and I do. We have shared each of our primary vaults to each other. That way if she has issues etc I can help her even if its remotely and that has been done before when she could not save a login. I made the necessary changes on my end let Dropbox sync and then she could continue on easily. On my machine her vault is a secondary and on hers mine is a secondary. Thats not saying you have to or even want to do that. I was just saying its a possibility.

To be honest I have not used 1PA since the way early beta days of 1Password 3.

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Sir. Gosh, I'm a glutton for punishment with this thing! I've invested another 6 hours into it, today, but I think things are good, though. I went ahead and created a new vault on my iMac, and moved all of our "shared" logins, notes, etc. into the secondary vault. I then setup 1P5 on her MacBook Air and synced it with the new shared folder on Dropbox. She just has one vault. That's all that's really necessary for her. It's working like a charm, though! Any changes made on her Mac syncs with the secondary shared vault on all three of my Macs, and vice versa. I did a LOT of reading on the whole multiple vault thing. I'm still not completely sure on the whole password for the new added vault when as soon as you open 1P5 with your primary vault password, you have access to the secondary vault. I see many people complaining about that. Oh well. I think I'm good to go, though. Now I can tell the Mrs. that SHE can start paying some of the bills online because she now has access to all of the bank accounts and credit card websites! :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

@robbski‌

I just wanted to make sure you created her a vault first and then added the shared vault ?

Other wise if she has just the one family vault. When she creates logins for sites, they will start to fill the shared family vault ? This may not be an issue for you.
    Ideally she has her own primary vault for her logins etc, and the family vault is a secondary. Its not a huge deal, if you wish to leave it alone for now and then later on move her to another vault. Its your decision and it can work very well as it stands now.

For years the wife and I shared just a single vault way back in the medieval days of 1Password. ROFL

As to the secondary vaults and passwords thing. You being the primary user of the Mac, normally you will have un fettered access to all things on that Mac. IMHO 1Password follows this train of thought. Its your Mac and you are the Master Password holder therefore when you open 1Password you should have access to everything.

I can see user cases where this is not ideal. Business for example and so forth.

Keep it up :wink: and you'll be here like I was / am. I started out finding some of answers to the questions for my own setup. Now 6 maybe 7 years later, I am still here.

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

It's kind of late now, but I suppose I should've set her up first with a primary, then made the secondary for sharing. It's really not a big deal, though. I just don't see my wife creating too many logins over the next year. 2 or 3 maybe? I'm the "computer guy". She just does what I tell her to do. :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@robbski‌

I know that feeling all to well. ... "Im the computer guy" too

Give her about a year maybe 2 and she will most likely pick up on things like my wife did. Now almost 7 years later, I see way more new items from her in 1Password vs my editing / maintaining old items with new details etc.

Of course she works from the computer each day and is self employed so I would expect her to be generating more items. The only time she gets mad at me is when I show her some shortcut and she's like why didn't you tell me that years ago. For example, I recently introduced her to the iOS extension for login in to sites vs the old copy out of 1Password and paste. I got the why are you just now telling me about this. lol

As I said you can very easily fix things later. Its more important that you guys get accustomed to using it now and make it a part of your everyday life. Making you more secure in your web travels.

Cheers,

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

I like the fact that if she's screwing around with it, I get Dropbox notifications that briefly pop up on my Macs. For instance, last night I noticed that she just created a new login for some reason. We ALREADY had a login for that site. I set her straight. Baby steps. Baby steps. :)

This discussion has been closed.