Double unlock - is it a bug?

Options
Paco II
Paco II
Community Member

Running 5.0.1. Periodically I hit the double unlock issue, whereby I enter my PIN, then immediately am required to enter my master password. This will happen when opening the app directly, as well as when using it via the extension. Is this a bug, or just a poor UI experience :smile: Hopefully this will be fixed in 5.1.

Comments

• Hi @Paco II,

Are you entering the right PIN code? If you enter it incorrectly, it'll automatically switch to the master password and that matches what you're seeing.

Try changing your PIN code and then see if it'll work right afterward without the double-unlock.

• frippz
    frippz
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I've been experiencing this issue as well on several devices in our family. The only temporary solution is to deactivate PIN and then reactivate it again. This only works for maybe 24 hrs before entering the correct PIN fails and you must enter your master password again.

We've seen this issue on the following devices (all running 1Password 5.0.1 and iOS 8.0.2)

• iPad 4th gen
    • iPad Air
    • iPhone 4S
    • iPhone 5 (my personal device)

Additionally, sync is being done via Dropbox on all devices.

• Paco II
    Paco II
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

As frippz mentioned, this is not a case of incorrectly entering in the PIN. Fwiw I too sync with Dropbox.

• ScottK83
    ScottK83
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I ran into this exact same problem on both my iPhone and iPad. Under Settings > Security, make sure that Lock on Exit is not turned on for the master password AND that it is turned on under the PIN Code section. There appears to be an error that allows a lock on exit to appear for both master password and pin code.

Turn off the pin code temporarily and then exit out of Settings to save it. Then, go back into Security and make sure only the Lock on Exit in the PIN code section is turned on. After you re-enter and verify your pin, it should start working as expected again, at least it did for me.

Edit: This fix was for version 5.0.1. I just upgraded to 5.1 and the layout of the Security section has been changed with the PIN code section on the top. Maybe the "double unlock bug" has been fixed.

• frippz
    frippz
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@ScottK83 Interesting! Will give that a try on my end. Thanks for the lead!

edit: Oh well, I'll have to recheck as well. Just got 5.1 here as well. :smile:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @frippz and "Paco II",

Our latest and greatest version of 1Password 5 for iOS was just released in the App Store. There are a lot of great changes in there. Please ensure that you are up-to-date with v5.1 and let me know if the problem persists. :)

• johnny808
    johnny808
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I'm on iPad iOS 8.0.2. Just upgraded today to 1Password 5.1 for iOS. I have Lock on exit enabled. The double unlock bug just happened to me too.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @johnny808,

That's strange, could you let me know what your settings are in the Settings > Security pane? Again, just to confirm, you're certain you entered your PIN correctly (or used the correct finger for Touch ID?)

• frippz
    frippz
    Community Member
    Options

So far, I'm unable to reproduce the bug after the update to 1Password 5.1. Will report back if that changes. :smile:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @frippz,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you don't need to report back ... but we're always here if you need us! ;)

• Ben
    Options

Awesome! Thank you for the update. :)

• johnny808
    johnny808
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Megan, thanks. As requested, below are my security settings. The double unlock bug doesn't happen anymore with v5.1 on iPad iOS 8.0.2 as long as I don't enable Lock on Exit. It's been working exactly as supposed to ever since.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@johnny808‌ Good catch!

I started experiencing this double-login issue when I updated to 5.1 on my iPhone 5 today.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @johnny808 and @Niklas,

Thanks for the follow-up here. We've done some further testing here, and it looks like this bug is restricted to PIN-only devices (which is why I wasn't previously able to re-create it with my Touch ID enabled device.) A report has been filed in our internal tracker - our devs are on the case!

In the meantime, it does appear that @ScottK83‌'s workaround of disabling and then re-enabling the PIN seems to work, at least temporarily to resolve this.

We'll do what we can to have a proper solution for you all soon though. :)

ref: OPI-1856

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Any news? I have this bug too with 5.1 on my non-touch iPad. Pretty annoying. Had to order a new iPad Air 2 because of this.

• @mot We are aware of the issue but don't have anything to report at the moment. Enjoy your new iPad!

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

Issue still there in 5.1.1 which I downloaded from the App Store an hour ago.

• jEnN
    jEnN
    Community Member
    Options

I also ran into this issue. I had to disabled/re-enabled PIN code and I don't have that issue anymore.

• @Niklas and @jEnN We discovered another case where this could happen in 1Password 5.1.1. We're putting together a fix for it, as well as for couple other issues for 5.1.2.

This discussion has been closed.