Master password not syncing

Options
tinkerer33
tinkerer33
Community Member

Doesn't the master password sync across devices? When I change the master password on my Mac mini it will not work on my iPhone unless I delete and reinstall the app. (Using Icloud sync).

Am I doing something wrong here?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tinkerer33‌

The Master Password should sync across devices. With iCloud sync however, we are unable to directly initiate a sync (as we can with Dropbox.) When changes are made to your 1Password database, 1Password will update the information in the sync location, then iCloud sync will update that folder on its own schedule. Sometimes this can take up to 20 minutes.

How long did you wait before trying your new Master Password on your iOS device?

• tinkerer33
    tinkerer33
    Community Member
    Options

a day or so, is there any way to trigger an iCloud sync? That way I could rule out whether or not iCloud had synced.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @tinkerer33‌,

iCloud certainly should've synced after an entire day. You can check if a sync has occurred by creating a new Login item on your Mac, then checking if it appears on your iPhone.

• tinkerer33
    tinkerer33
    Community Member
    Options

master password still not syncing after months now...sounds like a bug. Maybe the new iOS 8 and Yosemite will work better?

• Ben
    Options

@tinkerer33‌

The password should've synced but because it hasn't you may need to manually change it on each device. Thanks.

Ben

• tinkerer33
    tinkerer33
    Community Member
    Options

I'd rather get it to work as it's supposed to...any suggestions

• Ben
    Options

@tinkerer33‌

Deleting and reinstalling the app is the only known solution other than changing the password.

• tinkerer33
    tinkerer33
    Community Member
    Options

ya, tried that to but it did not work. Since it should be syncing the master password , then there must be something wrong with my setup. Would it help to troubleshoot if I sent you a diagnostic report?

• tinkerer33
    tinkerer33
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know if this helps but any changes to the data seems to be syncing fine, it's just the master password changes that are not syncing.

• @tinkerer33‌ I'd be interested to know what happens if you change your Master Password again. Will that sync?

• linuxhaha
    linuxhaha
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm this issue. It happened on my Macbook Pro and iPad, When the Master Password was changed on Macbook Pro, All saved password can be synced to iPad normally but Master Password. Even I Erase all data on my iPad then re-sync it from iCloud. Does saved password encrypted by Master Password? Why new saved password can even be read by a different Master Password? I am using 1Password5.

• linuxhaha
    linuxhaha
    Community Member
    Options

It seems WIFI-Sync has no that problem.

• linuxhaha
    linuxhaha
    Community Member
    Options

As you can see here, the Hit is different, Master Password different, but saved password/note every thing others can be synced normally...

• MrRooni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Good afternoon @linuxhaha. Thanks for helping us uncover this bug. I'll be sure to open a ticket for it in our internal bug tracking system. In the mean time you will have to manually change your password on your other devices.

ref: OPM-2545

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @linuxhaha‌

Let's try resetting iCloud sync entirely:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

This will allow the Mac to re-generate a fresh datafile in iCloud, with your updated Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.