Which agilekeychain file am I actually using?

Options
wfaler
wfaler
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

Hi,
I have a 1password.agilekeychain file that I think I originally created with 1Password 3, and which has subsequently been upgraded with new releases and moved with new computers.

Today, I took a copy of said file, delete it in the original location, yet 1Password still works and still lets me open the database. I'm a little puzzled now as to which data files my 1password is actually using and what data files I should actually be backing up?

So I guess the short question is:
Where is my 1password data actually stored and how do I safely backup and restore it? Can I delete my old 1password.agilekeychain files safely?

For the record, I am using 1Password5 now, direct download from your website.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 5 from the AgileBits site stores its data in:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

1P should be creating automatic backups for you. Check 1P5 > Preferences > Backup and see what you have there.

Whether or not you can safely delete your old keychain files will probably depend on the outcome of your research following the answers to your questions. I'd hang on to the files until you're absolutely sure that the data you are currently using are the data you expect to be using!

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wfaler‌

Where is my 1password data actually stored and how do I safely backup and restore it? Can I delete my old 1password.agilekeychain files safely?

In 1Password 5, your data may potentially be stored in 2 places. First of all, your data is always stored in what we call the 'local store'. This is a folder tucked away in the /Library folder. 1Password will also make daily backups of your database (whenever a change is detected) and store those backups in the Library as well.

When you choose to sync your data (to Dropbox, for example), 1Password makes a copy of your vault data and stores it in the 'sync store'. This is different to how 1Password 3 operated, where your data was only stored in a single location, so deleting your data from Dropbox would actually delete your entire database.

If you are syncing with Dropbox, you should not delete the 1Password.agilekeychain file, as this file is still what 1Password is using to sync your data. If you have extra keychain files stored in Dropbox that you think are un-used, I can provide you with steps to reset sync, which will allow 1Password to regenerate a fresh 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox, and help you remove any un-used keychain files.

what data files I should actually be backing up?

As I mentioned above, 1Password will perform automatic backups for you on a daily basis. If you'd like to create one manually, simply go to File > Backup. Syncing with Dropbox has the added benefit of giving you an extra copy of your data stored safely in the cloud, so between Dropbox and 1Password's automatic backups, your data should be well-protected.

If you would like to add an extra layer of protection, you could always copy your most recent backup from the default location onto a separate drive:

• The Mac App Store version stores backups here: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups

• The AgileBits webstore version stores backups here: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns. ;)

• wfaler
    wfaler
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Thanks for the very thorough answer.
    I have multiple keychain files, however none of which I sync via (I always use wifi sync). I gather based on this, I'm safe to delete all the keychain files I have lying around, and if I want a backup in a different place, just enable folder sync, correct?

• Hi @wfaler,

If you use Wi-Fi sync, the Agile Keychains are not needed. As long as all of your data is present in 1Password 5, you can safely delete them.

The best way to get a backup in a different location would be copying them from their default location in the ~/Library folder.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.