1Password on Mac not syncing

Options
jimpots
jimpots
Community Member

Hello,

Just downloaded 1Password on the Mac App Store and it's not syncing with my iPhone and iPad. Both of those sync fine, I've set up iCloud sync on my 1Password on Mac but it doesn't sync. I've tried disabling and re-enabling the sync.

I've just uninstalled 1Password4 which ran out of it's trial mode. The new 1Password I've downloaded has replaced it but it doesn't seem like it's updated my entries from the 1Password4 I've just got rid of.

Thanks,

James

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I assume you're using iOS 8 on your iDevices. If you are, then I'm afraid you might have fallen foul of the "iCloud trap". In essence, if you want to use iCloud sync you will not be able to do so until 1P5 for Yosemite is released (at much the same time as Yosemite itself is released from beta). See the iCloud in 1Password 5 FAQ for the gory details.

Stephen

• jimpots
    jimpots
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Stephen,

I think you have hit the bull's eye there. Shame I bought 1password Mac now. Should of waited. I didn't notice this warning on the Mac app store- might be helpful for buyers 1password people?

Shame as I really rate the app.

Thanks,

James

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jimpots‌,

As @Stephen_C mentioned, iCloud sync does require 1Password 5 on the Mac if you are using 1Password 5 on iOS. However, 1Password 5 has not been released for the Mac just yet. It requires Yosemite which Apple has not released.

Please be sure to read the aforelinked iCloud in 1Password 5 FAQ, and let us know if syncing is working via Dropbox or Wi-Fi. instructions for both are in the FAQ.

I'd love to make sure that all is well for you. :)

• jimpots
    jimpots
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Khad,

Thanks for getting back to me. No worries, I will wait until Yosemite as I don't want to mess around with DropBox sync if I don't have to.

1Password is totally awesome, just a bit gutted I have ti hold off on my sync'd life until whenever Apple release the next OSX!

Thanks,

James

• Elizabeth Meister
    Options

Wow, are you kidding? Where were the warnings, folks? I just updated a slew of stuff on my desktop -- and now you're telling me that it won't sync to my new iPhone until I can get Yosemite? That makes 1Password pretty much useless to me in the interim -- I'm about to travel for two weeks and I'm now stuck with outdated data on my phone??

• littlebobbytables
    Options

You can still sync either via WiFi (admittedly it doesn't play ball with attachments - yet) or Dropbox. Of the two I'd suspect the WiFi option would be quicker to set up and doesn't require anything more than you have already - 1Password on both devices.

I'm one of these odd privacy freaks so I only use WiFi sync myself.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Where were the warnings, folks?

Well, for a start, there is this sticky at the top of the forum which says, among other things:

Because Yosemite has not yet been released, it is currently not possible to sync iOS 8 devices with Macs using iCloud.

:) As littlebobbytables, I use wifi sync with no problems at all. (I'm not concerned about Mac attachments not syncing for the time being. I'm happy to wait for 1P5 for OS X for that.)

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi James ( @jimpots ),

On behalf of @khad, you're quite welcome. I hope your 1Password syncing life won't remain suspended for too long. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm sorry that the information about iCloud syncing wasn't made clearer for you and has been disrupted with iOS 8 and 1Password 5 upgrades. As others have mentioned, you do have the option of at least temporary using Dropbox or Wi-Fi syncing until Yosemite is released. I'm currently using both, for different systems/devices. Please let us know if you need any help with either and we'll be happy to assist! :)

• Elizabeth Meister
    Options

Thanks sjk -- I will try to figure this out (I have about an hour before I leave for two weeks) -- Stephen C, I appreciate that there's a "sticky" but please understand that the vast number of 1Password users would never think to check the discussion boards before upgrading, and/or before getting an iPhone 6 and finding their sync no longer works. There really needs to be a preemptive message in the app and/or on the desktop when stuff like this happens -- it should not be incumbent on users to dig into discussion boards, etc etc. 1Pass is supposed to save work and time, not create another to-do on the list. Respectfully submitted, of course.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Elizabeth,

I hope you were able to get the 1Password data you'll need during your traveling. Have a great time!

There really needs to be a preemptive message in the app and/or on the desktop when stuff like this happens

Are you suggesting such a message somehow be displayed by the current version of an app before a possibly disruptive upgrade for it and/or an OS is available? In this case, that could be similar to the recommendation from the iCloud in 1Password 5 FAQ:

If you absolutely need to sync with a Mac over iCloud, we recommend waiting for Yosemite to come out before upgrading to iOS 8 and 1Password 5.

Is that what you mean?

• 2oby
    2oby
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I recently upgraded to 1P5 on my iPhone and installed 1P from the App store on my Mac. Wifi syncing is now broken. I had been using a previous pair of versions on iPhone and Mac successfully for years.

I syncing a secure note. It has a a few hundred lines of text.
    Either it says it has synced and hasn't or the syncing icon spins indefinitely. This is a terrible fail and I will have to search for an alternative.
    Toby

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @2oby‌ I'm a WiFi sync user too and yes, it has its oddities at the moment but it is receiving attention. Can I ask, do you make edits to items over all your devices or do you tend to limit changes to one vault and then propagate them to the other devices?

I'm the latter and given some of the odd things I do with my vaults at the moment I've taken to wiping my iOS device if I think it's going to muck me about at all and I use WiFi sync to download a complete, fresh copy of the vault from my mac. I'd fully understand if you don't think that is acceptable, it's just something I've found that works for me and eliminates any 'blips'.

This discussion has been closed.