system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini [remove second copy to correct]

Options
sidecountry
sidecountry
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

Since upgrading to 1 Password 5.0.2 and OS X 10.10 I get the following message.

"We've got a problem - - - The system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini.
Instead of '~/Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/LoginItems' it started '/Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems'.
Please make sure you have only one copy of 1Password on your Mac."

I do not understand the description of the locations in the two messages. In Applications I see 1 copy of 1Password with no sub-folders. Do not know where the folder "contents" is, and in case things were reversed checked the Library folder and did not find "Contents".

Advice?

Comments

• Jasper
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @sidecountry,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. When using 1Password in Yosemite, you need to make sure that you have a single instance of 1Password on your hard drive.

I noticed that you're launching 1Password from the ~/Applications folder, which is not standard. I would recommend you use the version in the /Applications instead. If that's okay with you, here's how to fix this:

• Make sure that you have a single copy of 1Password 5 in your /Applications folder
    • Open the 1Password main app, and press ⌃⌘Q (Control+Command+Q) to fully quit 1Password and 1Password mini.
    • Trash all other copies of 1Password from your hard drive (do not use app cleaning utilities).

• This includes the copy in your ~/Applications folder. To locate this folder, open Finder, press ⇧⌘G, enter ~/Applications and press go.
    • Make sure that there is no copy of 1Password in the Trash either. Please empty the Trash if that's the case.

• Launch 1Password, and it should work fine.

I hope this helps. :)

• sidecountry
    sidecountry
    Community Member
    Options

That worked. Also learned from you that the ~ meant to look in the User applications folder, which I have never ventured in before. Much appreciated.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear you're up and running @sidecountry‌ :smile: Yeah, the ~/Applications doesn't get used a whole lot, even less reason to if you're the sole user of the machine and running as an administrator. I run two accounts, one admin and then my everyday user account but even then all I'm doing is the occasional authorisation and installing into /Applications. I suspect it makes more sense in an enterprise environment where somebody is allowed to run a program from their profile?

Anyway, it's all sorted by the looks of it so I'm going to close this. So if you have any other queries just start a new thread and we'll help you out. Hopefully it'll all be plain sailing from herein but you know where we are if it isn't.

This discussion has been closed.