Master password frequently demanded

Options
jgs
jgs
Community Member

I've got iPassword 5.1.1 on my iPhone 5 configured as follows in the Security settings:

• Lock on exit: off
  • Auto-Lock: 1 Hour (the max)
  • PIN Code: on

It reports "your PIN code will be required after 1 hour of being unused. Your Master Password will be required after a device restart or when the PIN Code is entered incorrectly."

In fact, the Master Password is almost always required in my experience, except when I revisit 1Password shortly after having entered it. Maybe within 1 hour? But mostly, I have to enter my Master Password. There's no chance this is being triggered either by a device restart or a PIN mis-entry. Sadly, AFAICT this feature has never worked, through multiple major version revisions. :-(

I can't find any help on this, though there are some sort-of related topics for Touch ID. But they're only sort-of related.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jgs,

I'm sorry you've been having such trouble with this! Are you being asked for your master password right away when you open 1Password, or do you need to enter both your PIN and your master password?

• jgs
    jgs
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried it and was asked for my master password right away. No PIN demanded either before or after.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jgs,

That's very strange. Are you by any chance using the Lock Now option from the Security settings in 1Password? That option will lock the app and require your master password the next time you open it. I don't think that's what you're doing, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Please try turning the PIN Code option Off in 1Password, then back On again. The next time 1Password locks itself automatically, are you still asked for the master password, or does it now ask for the PIN code?

If that doesn't help, please try this:

• Open the 1Password app.
    • Double-click the Home button and swipe up on 1Password to close it.
    • Restart your iPhone (hold down the power button for a few seconds and "slide to power off", then turn it back on again).

After the restart, you'll need to enter your master password to unlock 1Password (as expected). After that, does it ask for your PIN the next time it locks itself?

This discussion has been closed.