WiFi vs. iCloud Sync in 1Password 5

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member

I'm currently using 1Password 5 and Yosemite with iCloud sync. Is it best to just stay with this configuration or change to WiFi sync? Are there any security differences? Thanks.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LarryMcJ,

It sounds like you're asking about the Mac version of 1Password 5, so I moved your message to our Mac forums.

The answer to your question really depends on your setup. For example, if you're only using 1Password on Macs, you won't be able to use Wi-Fi sync because that only works between the Mac and iOS versions of 1Password, not directly between multiple Macs.

If you're syncing with 1Password for Windows, iCloud sync won't help you because that is only supported in the Mac and iOS versions of 1Password. In that case, we recommend Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync.

If you already have iCloud sync set up with 1Password 5 for Mac and/or iOS, and if it's working well for you, you can simply continue using iCloud sync. Is there a particular reason you're thinking of switching to another sync method?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Drew, actually what I was asking about was primarily related to the latest iOS version of 1Password...but I wasn't clear enough. I have 1Password on both my iPhone 6 and iPad Air. Both are always in the vicinity of my local secure WiFi, so my question was whether or not one or the other (WiFi or iCloud) sync between the iOS devices and my Mac 1Password was better than the other.

With this additional information feel free to move this back to iOS...as I do think it belongs there :-) Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LarryMcJ, no problem! Looks like someone here moved it back to iOS for us. :smile:

Both Wi-Fi and iCloud are great sync options, and the "better" choice will depend on what works best for you. An advantage of iCloud sync is that it works from anywhere, so your Mac and iOS devices don't have to be on the same Wi-Fi network. You'll need to be using the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 on your Mac in order to use iCloud sync, but if you already are, that's not a problem.

Wi-Fi sync is a great option for folks who don't want to use a cloud sync service, or for those who also use 1Password for Windows but don't want to use Dropbox sync. But it only works between a computer and an iOS device (so it won't work directly between your iPhone and iPad, although they can each sync with your Mac). It also requires the computer & devices to be on the same Wi-Fi network.

Since you're using a couple iOS devices, iCloud sync might be the better option for you, but it really depends on your personal preference. Please feel free to try each sync method, and then decide which one you'd like to continue using. If you have more questions about it, just let us know.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Drew. I understand the technical differences between the two...I'm still just not asking my question properly. Is either method more secure? If not, I'll just keep using the iCloud method. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Is either method more secure? If not, I'll just keep using the iCloud method.

There is not a straightforward answer to this. On the one hand WiFi sync keeps all of your data local, but on the other hand either way your data is encrypted with your Master Password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LarryMcJ, for more information about the security of your 1Password data in iCloud, please see this article in our Knowledgebase:

Is it safe to sync my data over the cloud?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of @Drew_AG you are very welcome!

This discussion has been closed.