Security Bug? 1Password requires access to www.carshowrooms.com.au

Options
SockThief
SockThief
Community Member

Why in God's name, does 1Password require access to www.carshowroom.com.au?

after denying it access (yeah, I kinda don't like giving apps that handle my security access to websites I have no idea about) it appears it's required for the welcome splash screen.

But really? carshowroom.com.au? I could understand it requiring access to agilebits.com, but carshowroom? Really? tell me i'm missing something here, cos this just scream dodgy in 10 languages at 177dB.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

That is completely bizarre. Are you completely sure you didn't ask 1P to log in to that site? There is simply no way 1P will wander off and connect to sites like that at random. It is most certainly not required for the splash screen.

An alternative theory, of course, is that you might somehow have acquired a trojan which is hijacking something.

Stephen

• SockThief
    SockThief
    Community Member
    Options

Oh great! if you don't give it access, it doesn't seem like you can actually use the 1Password main app! as the welcome screen never goes away!

ps on multiple restarts, its starts requesting access to all sorts of other incomprehensible URLs... whats going on here?

• SockThief
    SockThief
    Community Member
    Options

stephen, if i deny it access the images in the splash screen don't load. even if i do, i never get the application main window after that, so I am unable to check if I have that page saved. But even if I have that page saved, why would it want to open it at launch?

Note, this is hapening after an upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite after which I was required to reinstall 1Password. Under Mavericks I never got these issues. I have not installed anything in between, and I am generally pretty careful with what goes on my Mac, so I doubt it's a trojan.

• SockThief
    SockThief
    Community Member
    Options

This is what I see if I deny access to the weird URLs. If I click the "Awesome! Let's get started", the splash disappears, and nothing else happens. Reopening the app causes the same welcome splash every time and request for those URLs.

Deleting and redownloading the app from the app-store (following this post: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/20374/1password-is-damaged-and-cant-be-opened-delete-1password-and-download-again-from-the-app-store) doesn't change anything at all.

If I look in the 1Password Menu, then vault options are disabled as well

• SockThief
    SockThief
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I think I know what is going on now, and perhaps it's only 50% 1Password's fault, 40% Little Snitch's fault, and 10% user error (feel free to adjust the % as you see fit)

Please correct where my analysis is wrong here:

So, as I see it and in the screen shot below, 1Passwords "Welcome Screen" is in a browser window, and it pulled down live from the web when ever it is required to be shown.

It would appear also that, the content of said "Welcome Screen" is hosted on a cloudfront server, which carshowroom.com.au is also hosted at. In a reverse IP lookup, Little Snitch thinks 1Password needs to connect to carshowroom.com.au when it is actually a cloudfront shared storage.

Note: cloudfront is Amazon AWS, so, not an unlikely scenario.

I can also semi-replicate the issue by disabling my network connection. If I terminate my network, then I get no splash screen at all.

So, the issues here (as I see it)

1. Little Snitch incorrectly identifies the source by reverse ip lookup
    2. Agile Bits Welcome Screen requires an active connection to display the Welcome Screen, pulling images from Amazon Cloudfront
    3. Even after the Welcome Screen is cleared, the main app is non functional

I'm not sure the best way to solve this, but perhaps it would be better if Agile Bits hosted the splash screen images, or better yet, it was static in the App?

Issue #3 appears to be the subject of a new discussion.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

The sites you see to which 1P is connecting are almost certainly the servers for rich icons (which you have probably enabled under 1P > Preferences > General Use rich icons (under the Display section)). The knowledge base used to contain reference to those servers but I simply can't find the relevant article just at the moment. There is, however, a post here from AgileBits which explains it.

I am still completely baffled by the "carshowroom" business. It makes no sense at all in the context of the way 1P works (which isn't to deny you have a problem with it!). I'm afraid I'll have to leave that aspect to someone with better technical knowledge than I have.

Edit: sorry I was doing the research for this post while you posted the additional information. I'll leave it to AgileBits to comment on that.

Stephen

• SockThief
    SockThief
    Community Member
    Options

Cheers stephen

Rich Icon's are disabled:

best I can see it's a reverse IP lookup issue - but I would very much like confirmation from Agile Bits if possible.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry to barge in like this, but I have two ideas:

If you open Terminal.app and type more /etc/hosts and press enter. Do you see anything containing carshowroom.com.au?

Maybe your DNS cache has been borked? Try clearing it.

• SockThief
    SockThief
    Community Member
    Options

Niklas, I appreciate where you're coming from, and it's definitely not the case thats its a /etc/hosts or dnscache issue.

As you can see in the screenshot above, an nslookup on static.parseley.com produces many cloudfront responses, one which matches what Little Snitch thinks the IP maps to.

As I've said above, I strongly believe that this is caused by Agile Bits hosting their Welcome Splash screen page in Amazon's AWS which happens to produce other URLs when an IP reverse look up happens. Which is understandable as Amazon AWS is a very popular cloud service. However, Agile Bits should handle this better, particularly as they are a "secure application".

Note also, that I place 40% blame on Little Snitch and 10% on me. However I would really like this confirmed by an employee at Agile Bits, and if I am wrong, I would like a better explanation.

• SockThief
    SockThief
    Community Member
    Options

Note: now that I have 1Password main app working (reboot required for some reason), I can confirm that carshowroom.com.au does not exist anywhere in my saved passwords or sites - leading more credence to my hypothesis.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@SockThief‌

Here's a response from AgileBits employee/boss @roustem:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/80054/#Comment_80054

Quote:

1Password connects to Amazon CloudFront when 1Password > Preferences > General > Use rich icons option is enabled. The CloudFront servers are used by many companies and LittleSnitch could report one of the CNAME records that points to the same address.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @SockThief‌,

I confirm that our Welcome to 1Password page is hosted on cloudfront.net :smile:

Hope that this helps!

Cheers!

Rad

• SockThief
    SockThief
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Xe997 thanks for the response - as you can see in post #8, rich icons are disabled :)

@Rad Awesome, thanks for the response. I question whether this is a good UX decision, for the following reasons:

1. As posted here, there is a question as to where assets are coming from - yes, this is a Little Snitch issue in the main (a bug report has been filed!) but it does lead to confusion for users who may be using Little Snitch (or any other similar product) which would alert them to assets coming from a strange URL. As you can see, I have been able to back track and determine that it's not a major problem - but a less technical user might not. Further as you can see in post #7 from Stephen, he has immediately come in with a threat of a Trojan hijacking connections! Somewhat alarmist and would potentially lead a non tech user down a blind path of reinstalls etc, etc when no threat exists. *
    2. In the case that I install 1Password and then do not have an active connection, the "Welcome" screen I see is shown in Post #5 - a blank screen! This is not a very helpful or useful situation for a new user - 1Password does not (essentially) require a network connection, but the first impression a new user without a connection will see won't be friendly! Sure it's unlikely to happen, and you had a network connection when you downloaded the app from the app store etc. But it does happen, and there is no default page to display, even. In my opinion, an optimal solution might be - if a network connection exists, download the latest page, if no connection exists, then display a default with a link to the latest page that the user may open in a browser. I would also prefer the assets be hosted on a connection with an AgileBits URL to avoid the issues I've found here.**

* I agree this would be a snowball situation, but it's a plausible scenario - further we don't want to be encouraging users to blindly accept connections - even if they are genuine. And once again, yes! this is an issue with Little Snitch, but I found nothing to tell me that 1Password would require a connection to CloudFront, a lot of people wouldn't know what cloudfront is, and i would hope, they would question the connection. So, yes there is a lot that is outside of 1Password's realm, but I think there are some improvements that 1Password (and Little Snitch) can make to improve the user experience.

** I understand entirely why you would host the welcome page remotely and why cloudfront is a good solution - As I've said multiple times in this post, I think there is some improvements to the UX and the customer information that could be made.

Lastly @Rad - Do you agree with my analysis of the situation and thus I can reasonably conclude my connection is not being hijacked?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SockThief,

Just wanted to let you know I made a minor edit to your post so it would format as I think you intended; hope you don't mind. :)

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SockThief‌,

Thanks for the lengthy reply :smiley:

I will be answering your inquiries in order:

1. As posted here, there is a question as to where assets are coming from - yes, this is a Little Snitch issue in the main (a bug report has been filed!) but it does lead to confusion for users who may be using Little Snitch (or any other similar product) which would alert them to assets coming from a strange URL. As you can see, I have been able to back track and determine that it's not a major problem - but a less technical user might not. Further as you can see in post #7 from Stephen, he has immediately come in with a threat of a Trojan hijacking connections! Somewhat alarmist and would potentially lead a non tech user down a blind path of reinstalls etc, etc when no threat exists.

We just filed an internal issue to change the URL for the Rich Icons service. The fix is bound to come out soon

ref: OPM-2526

1. In the case that I install 1Password and then do not have an active connection, the "Welcome" screen I see is shown in Post #5 - a blank screen!

We used to cache the Welcome page in 1Password 4, we also considered to bundle it in the build too. However, after encountering several issues, we had to make a compromise and fetch it when it is displayed. The Welcome page window is displayed when the user launched 1Password for the very first time and there is a strong likelihood that the user has an internet connection because the launch usually happens right after the download.

Do you agree with my analysis of the situation and thus I can reasonably conclude my connection is not being hijacked?

I cannot make any statement about your connection being hijacked or not, because I don't have a full overview of your system. There are several factors and details that are missing for me to draw a conclusion.

Hope that this helps :wink:

Cheers!

Rad

• SockThief
    SockThief
    Community Member
    Options

@rad - awesome response!

Just a note on this:

We just filed an internal issue to change the URL for the Rich Icons service. The fix is bound to come out soon

As you can see in Post #8, Rich Icons were disabled, so this issue is wider reaching than just Rich Icons, will there be a fix for the splash screen as well?

• Hi @SockThief,

I don't know yet, it depends on if this internal change works. CDN is a complex beast to maintain and sometime it doesn't work the way we want it to.

Right now, we're going to try to fix this for the Rich Icons and if it does work, we'd likely to expand it to the rest, such as our welcome page and our guides. I've updated the internal bug report to make sure we cover the rest once the fix works.

• SockThief
    SockThief
    Community Member
    Options

awesome @MikeT - i consider this closed now

• Hi @SockThief,

That's great. We won't close the thread as we haven't fixed it just yet and you might have other questions related to this in the future.

Thanks again for creating this thread!

This discussion has been closed.