Bug: 1Password 5.x doesn't always recognize website (using Safari on iPhone 6 or iPad Air)

Options
tiantai
tiantai
Community Member

I have on multiple occasions encountered the following situation; Using iOS 8.1 Safari on iPhone 6 or iPad Air, navigated to a website where a password is requested. I use the shortcut method to access 1Password, then unlock 1Password. After the unlock, 1Password does not show any valid password entries. The only way I can get 1Password to recognize said website is to use 1Password's built-in web browser.

Is AgileBits aware of this bug? Is a fix in the works?

Thanks.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tiantai,

This might have something to do with the URL in Safari not matching the URL in the Login item in 1Password. Please take a look at the information here to see if it helps. Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I don't think what you've described is the problem because if I paste the URL into 1Password's built-in web browser, it is able to find the login item. However, let me play around with this more...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tiantai, let us know how it works out, and whether or not that helps. If not, we'll take it from there.

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I don't think that's the problem because that's never been the case with 1Password 4. Back then, I use the shortcut link that would automatically transfer me to 1Password 4, which then it would be able to find the automatic login item. I'll do more testing when I can...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tiantai,

1Password 4 for iOS didn't have an extension in mobile Safari, since that feature wasn't possible until iOS 8. You may have been using a shortcut to open the current mobile Safari site in 1Browser, but that is no longer necessary in 1Password 5 for iOS because it includes an extension you can use in Safari, similar to the 1Password extension for web browsers on Mac or Windows.

Looking back at your description of the problem, I'm not quite sure if you're trying to use that old shortcut, or if you're having trouble with the new extension. To learn about the new extension and how to use it, please take a look at our Extension FAQ.

Does that help?

• 0p3raGh05t
    0p3raGh05t
    Community Member
    Options

Why doesn't the Safari extension allow a search in 1Password? It just shows the entry that matches the URL with no option to search inside 1Password if no URL match occurs.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @0p3raGh05t,

Extensions are a brand new feature in iOS 8, and I'm sure we'll be adding more functionality to the 1Password extension. Our developers are looking into possibly adding a Search feature to the extension, although I can't make any promises at this point. I agree that it would be very useful! :smile:

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    Options

Responding to post #6:

"Hi @tiantai,

1Password 4 for iOS didn't have an extension in mobile Safari, since that feature wasn't possible until iOS 8. You may have been using a shortcut to open the current mobile Safari site in 1Browser, but that is no longer necessary in 1Password 5 for iOS because it includes an extension you can use in Safari, similar to the 1Password extension for web browsers on Mac or Windows.

Looking back at your description of the problem, I'm not quite sure if you're trying to use that old shortcut, or if you're having trouble with the new extension. To learn about the new extension and how to use it, please take a look at our Extension FAQ.

Does that help?"

Let me try for a clearer explanation.

In the past when I was using 1Password 4 on my iOS device, I used a bookmark shortcut in Safari to access 1Password. In those situations, 1Password was able to find the appropriate login items for any of the websites where I used this shortcut.

Now, in the current form with extensions, there are times when 1Password 5 (through the extension) is unable to find the login item even if those webpages in the past worked with the 1Password 4 shortcut. For the contemporary situation, if I copied that URL displayed on Safari, opened 1Password 5 app's web browser, then 1Password 5 is able to find the appropriate login item. The 1Password 5 mini isn't always able to find the login item though, for that same webpage.

This problem isn't consistently reproducible which makes me think that there might be a problem between the 1Password 5 extension and its access of the 1Password 5 database of login items, rather than a problem with the website URL not matching up.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tiantai, thank you for the explanation, it's helpful! :)

The communication between 1Password and its built-in browser works differently than the 1Password extension in Safari, so my first guess would still be that the information on this page might still explain what's happening. However, you mentioned that the problem isn't consistently reproducible, so I'm not positive.

When you say it isn't consistent, do you mean the extension works for some websites but not for others? Or do you mean it sometimes works for a website, but sometimes won't work for that exact same website?

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG, by "inconsistent" I mean that sometimes the extension works for the same website and sometimes it doesn't. Where I encounter this is when I log in to my Amazon.com account after browsing some Amazon items.

I did go and change all my Amazon login items to just have the www.amazon.com URL. I don't know whether this change fixed something, but I haven't encountered this problem since yesterday. These types of anomalies are hard to track.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tiantai, before you changed the URL in your Amazon login items, did they have longer, more complex URLs? If so, that may have had something to do with the problem, but it's difficult to tell for sure.

It sounds like you may have solved the problem, but please let us know if it happens again and we'll be happy to continue working on that. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.