Family License - install on second Mac

Options
richard-w
richard-w
Community Member

Hello,
I have read the discussions about Family Licenses but am still confused. I have, however, successfully downloaded onto my wife's Mac my Family License file from my account on the AgileBits Customer Care Centre. When I try to download 1PW4 for Mac your website wants to charge me … I had imagined that the Family License meant that further copies of 1PW4 would be free. Have I misunderstood? If I have misunderstood, what is the purpose of a Family License? If the s/w is free how do I get it? Thank you.
Richard

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

A family licence is for up to 5 computers so I'm curious as to the exact point when you say Agilebits are trying to charge you. I can download the zip file of 1Password 4 for example and no doubt unzip and launch (I even believe there is a trial period). Are you trying to download via the Store or Downloads page from their main site?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@richard-w:

. When I try to download 1PW4 for Mac your website wants to charge me

That shouldn't be possible, where are you trying to download it from? Make sure you're only using our downloads page here: http://agilebits.com/downloads

The downloads page are accessible to everybody, regardless if they pay or not.

I double checked the customer center page, there is nothing in there that'd charge for anything, nor is there a link to take you to the store.

Family license means you can share the license with up to 5 family members. Each family members can install any number of 1Password apps on any of their Macs. We only keep track of users, not computers.

@littlebobbytables‌:

A family licence is for up to 5 computers

Up to 5 family members, each member can use it on any computers they own. We don't keep track of activations, number of computers, or anything else like that.

• richard-w
    richard-w
    Community Member
    Options

Hello MikeT and LittleBobbyTables,

I am sorry I didn't have my notification prefs set to be notified of your replies. I now do. Thank you for the link to downloads.

I am still confused. I just checked my license and it is a family license, which I knew I had purchased, ... however, it says it is for 1PW for Mac 5. Is this a gift? I am sure my purchase was a family license for 1PW for Mac 4. I haven't upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite yet and am running on my MBAir 1PW for Mac 4.4.3 from the Agile webstore. If I load my 1PW for Mac5 license onto my wife's machine, will she be able to run 1PW4 (she is not running Yosemite either). Do I get the license onto her machine by forwarding by email the license I have just had resent to me to her machine and then once a new version of 1PW has downloaded on her machine click on some of the links in the license? Thank you!

Richard

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hopefully you haven't been wondering if you've been ignored all this time @richard-w‌ :stuck_out_tongue:

Licensing has changed somewhat so don't be surprised if it says single licence. A single licence now covers all the machines used by up to six family members in the same household. and 1Password 5 is a free upgrade from 1Password 4. From a technical point of view all you should need to do is forward the licence file to your wife using whatever form is easiest (USB, email, networked drive) and it should all work. If you have any troubles please let us know.

• richard-w
    richard-w
    Community Member
    Options

Hi littlebobbytables, no not ignored, thank you. I had assumed though that the default would be that I would receive notification of replies. I will give your suggestion a go and add a comment if I have difficulty. Thank you!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@richard-w‌ Good luck and hopefully it goes as smoothly as I feel certain it will :smile:

• Applehead
    Applehead
    Community Member
    Options

What about the new Family Share feature on Yosemite? It's supposed to allow my wife to download apps I bought for my iMac on to her iMac since we use the same credit card to make purchases for our respective iTunes/App Store accounts. Apple says this function is dependent upon the developer allowing it. Do you allow us to do this? Can my wife download the 1Password app that I bought for my iMac for use on hers?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Applehead,

We have enabled the Family Sharing feature for 1Password! If your wife looks up your purchases in the App Store, she should be able to download 1Password from the list. :)

This discussion has been closed.