Syncing Devices

Options
CWilliamFox
CWilliamFox
Community Member

I am running IOS8 and Yosemite on a desktop, laptop, iPad & iPhone. I'm running 1Pswd 5 on the desktop and laptop and 4.4 on the iPad & iPhone. I have been able to sync my iPhone with my desktop, but been unable to sync the other two devices, when I go to sync them the Settings window does not appear and there is no place to insert the secret code. Please advise. Best, Bill

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CWilliamFox,

It sounds like you're trying to sync two Macs and two iOS devices via Wi-Fi sync, and right now it's only working between one Mac (desktop) and one iOS device (iPhone). Are you trying to sync all four together, or are you trying to sync your Mac laptop & iPad separately from the Mac desktop & iPhone? Please note that Wi-Fi sync won't work directly between two Macs.

You mentioned that you're using 1Password version 4.4 on your iPad and iPhone. Since those devices are running iOS 8, you should install the free update to 1Password 5 for iOS, which should be available in the Updates section of the App Store on each device. There have been some improvements to Wi-Fi sync, so the newest version may help.

Also, please make sure you're following the steps here in order to set up Wi-Fi sync. If it's not working, please describe which part of those steps is not working as described. Thanks!

• CWilliamFox
    CWilliamFox
    Community Member
    Options

HI Drew: Thanks for the quick response. You have answered in that only one device can be synced to a desktop. I was trying to sync all my devices together. But you refer to an 5 upgrade for the iPhone and the iPad. I have not been able to find them. Can you give me the link? Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CWilliamFox‌

1Password 5 is simply an update to 1Password 4, so once you have iOS installed, you should see it in the 'Updates' tab of the App Store. You'll need to be sure you're logged in to the App Store with the same AppleID as you originally purchased 1Password.

Please let us know if you're still having trouble updating 1Password!

• CWilliamFox
    CWilliamFox
    Community Member
    Options

I have gone on the iTunes site and searched for an upgrade to 1Password for iPad and iPhone but found nothing. The only app available is a new installation of 1Password 5.0.2

Also, apparently if I use Dropbox I can sync all my devices, but if I use Wifi I can only sync one device with my desktop. Am I correct?
    Bill

• Hi @CWilliamFox‌,

I have gone on the iTunes site and searched for an upgrade to 1Password for iPad and iPhone but found nothing. The only app available is a new installation of 1Password 5.0.2

Can you open 1Password on your iOS devices, unlock, and go to Settings. Under Recommend 1Password, can you confirm which version you're using right now?

Also, apparently if I use Dropbox I can sync all my devices, but if I use Wifi I can only sync one device with my desktop. Am I correct? Bill

Dropbox will sync between your computers and mobile devices, that is correct.

However, you can sync multiple iOS devices to one Mac. The Mac app is the Wi-Fi server, so you can only sync from one Mac to multiple iOS devices.

The issue is that right now, 1Password on Macs do not sync with other Macs or PCs in the same network. What you can do is disable the Wi-Fi sync on one of the iOS devices, re-enable the sync to another Mac and serve updates that way. So, basically, Mac A to iPhone, iPhone to Mac B, and that'll keep both Macs updated.

• CWilliamFox
    CWilliamFox
    Community Member
    Options

I can go to Settings on my iPhone, on my iPad Settings does not appear. 1Passwood 4 is current on both the iPhone and iPad. Your suggestion to sync multiple IOS8 devices sounds complicated. Perhaps I should use Dropbox, then as I understand I can connect to multiple IOS8 devices. Am I correct? Bill

• Hi @CWilliamFox‌,

1Passwood 4 is current on both the iPhone and iPad.

Do you have more than one AppleID for your iOS devices and are you using the same AppleID you used to buy 1Password before?

1Password 5 won't show up as an update on iOS 7, can you confirm you're using iOS 8?

Perhaps I should use Dropbox, then as I understand I can connect to multiple IOS8 devices. Am I correct?

Correct. To get started, read our Dropbox guide here: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync-dropbox

This discussion has been closed.