1PW Data file(s) in iCloud Drive

Options
pbGuy
pbGuy
Community Member

I've just switched my sync between my 1PW MAS & 1PW iOS devices (iPhone 6 & iPad Air 2) from Dropbox to iCloud. (All went smoothly due to the clear instructions you all provide about doing so.) [I am using Yosemite on my Mac and iOS 8.1 on my iPhone / iPad.]

When I now look at my Documents & Data (under Manage Storage) for iCloud, I see 2 "1Password - Password Manager and Secure Wallet" files that are backed up to my iCloud Drive. (Prior to initiating the switch of Sync to iCloud, I didn't look at my iCloud Drive; so, I don't know which of these files preceded the other (these files are differentiated only by file size - I don't see any time stamp).

Is there a way to find out which file is from prior Dropbox backups? ...Or, could I delete both (in interest of minimizing amount of b/u space taken up by these 2 files) and then, backup my iOS devices again (without causing a sync issue for the correct, 1PW file in iCloud) so there will only be 1 file in Documents & Data?

Comments

• Hi @pbGuy,

l went smoothly due to the clear instructions you all provide about doing so.

That's great to hear, thanks for letting us know how it went.

When I now look at my Documents & Data (under Manage Storage) for iCloud, I see 2 "1Password - Password Manager and Secure Wallet" files that are backed up to my iCloud Drive.

Just to be clear here, iCloud Drive isn't a backup service and your 1Password data is not being backed up to iCloud drive. We do not use any cloud-based backup services. In addition, iCloud Drive is not being used by 1Password at all. Apple is unfortunately not making this clear by bundling all iCloud related storage into the same Manage Storage option.

What you're seeing are two versions of iCloud sync data, one from before iOS 8 upgrade that was moved into the storage the moment you enabled iCloud Drive and one for the new CloudKit-based iCloud sync we're using for 1Password 5 for iOS and Mac.

backup my iOS devices again (without causing a sync issue for the correct, 1PW file in iCloud) so there will only be 1 file in Documents & Data?

Again, just to be clear, backing up your iOS devices has nothing to do with iCloud Drive, it is not related to your iOS backups.

there will only be 1 file in Documents & Data?

We've written a guide on how to get rid of the previous iCloud sync data here: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/multiple-icloud-entries

I hope that helps.

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your clarifications as I now better understand how 1PW is using iCloud.

After visiting the link you provided, I'm going to leave the multiple, 1PW entries in place at present.

• Hi @pbGuy,

You're welcome! If you do change your mind, just let us know, and we'll help you get it cleaned up.

This discussion has been closed.