[Suggestion] Inform before purchase about web & App Store differences for Mac

Options
Martin Palombo
Martin Palombo
Community Member

I paid for the web version of 1Password. I spent nearly 15mins wondering why iCloud was not showing on my syncing (I am already using the iPhone app).

I cannot begin to tell you how sad I am after I found out iCloud is App Store-only. Apple is no stranger to us all, this tight integrations are only likely to increase.

As a new paying customer, I don't feel I was cheated, but I would love if you guys can find a solution for this issue. If a solution is impossible for me, then please make it clearer for newcomers to avoid this issue in the future.

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Martin,

1Password 5 switched to the new Apple iCloud "CloudKit" technology which is only available on OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, and limited to Mac App Store apps only. After this change we are no longer able to offer iCloud syncing in the web store version of 1Password.

If you'd like to review some more information on iCloud and why the Mac App Store is the only version that has access to that particular sync option, Roustem, one of our founders, has written a blog post on the iCloud rewrite: http://blog.agilebits.com/2014/10/21/about-icloud-changes-in-1password-5/

We do offer a 30-day money back guarantee, so if you're not happy with your web store purchase, we are able to offer a refund if you email us.

Also, we do state that the Mac App Store version is required for iCloud syncing on the 1Password for Mac product page, and on our store.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The trouble is that if one simply goes to the page https://agilebits.com/onepassword/ then 1PW can be downloaded without any mention of this requirement, it's only if one goes to https://agilebits.com/onepassword/mac that one sees the restriction.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @danco,

Thanks for mentioning that - I'll pass it along to our website team to see if a change needs to be made. You'll notice though that this page is generally pretty vague on the details. This is because we're advertising 1Password on all platforms here - there's no specific mention of iCloud at all here (or Dropbox, for that matter.)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Yes, I agree that the page is intentionally vague on the details. But one can download direct from that page, if I'm not mistaken. So one could easily download without knowing of the issue.

And on the store page, one can get the info by clicking on System Requirements, which people ought to do but may well not.

• Ben
    Options

which people ought to do but may well not.

You can lead a horse to water...

• pandora
    pandora
    Community Member
    Options

Considering the upset you have caused a lot of your customers, that is a very smug comment.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Our intention was never to cause upset to any customer. I know some are frustrated regarding iCloud but AgileBits is a small company that has grown out of the loyalty of our fans. In this instance I almost want to write their fans as I'm still very new to the company. A month ago I was their customer, one that had been there through 1Password 3, it was one of my first app purchases on my first iPhone, a 3GS and I've used their software ever since.

Hopefully in time you'll remember how useful 1Password is and fall in love with the excellent program once again.

I'm reminded of when I upgraded to Mavericks from Snow Leopard. Apple gave the update away for free but I think I spent maybe £150 in a day updating all the software I depended on. I didn't blink with any one of those purchases as I just wouldn't want to be without them and yes, 1Password 4 was in there if I recall correctly (as was the iOS version too).

• lsherman
    lsherman
    Community Member
    Options

Atter purchasing the upgrade to 1Password 5 (from version 3) through your web store I too am upset to discover that iCloud sync is not supported. Had I known that ahead of time, I might have opted for the App Store version (even though it’s more money). Shouldn’t this have been something that was explained up front rather than after the fact when it is too late?

Now I’ve spent $25 with you for the upgrade and will have to spend another $35 to get the version with iCloud Sync.

With the iCloud Keychain features in the latest operating systems, I already questioned whether I should even bother with 1Password but it’s always been a solid product and I wanted to support you. This leaves an awfully sour taste in my mouth. How do I request the refund since there doesn't seem to be an email address available for support?

• Hi @lsherman,

Like I mentioned, we do offer a 30-day money back guarantee, so if you're not happy with your web store purchase, we are able to offer a refund if you email us.

Our email address is: support@agilebits.com

This discussion has been closed.