Link to Existing Account

Options
Erin Leigh Glab
Erin Leigh Glab
Community Member

I was installing 1Password on another macbook, then it first launched, it asked to link to existing vault or create a new vault. I clicked on create a new vault. I now realize this was not the correct selection. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and it doesn't give me the option to select to link to an existing vault again. Is there something I can do?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You need to start over and that's the link that will help you. (It's for 1P5 but in essence the 1P4 procedure is the same. You didn't say whether you're using 1P4 or 1P5.)

Stephen

• Erin Leigh Glab
    Erin Leigh Glab
    Community Member
    Options

Worked like a charm. Thank you! =)

• Erin Leigh Glab
    Erin Leigh Glab
    Community Member
    Options

One other question- I am using 1P5 and I am syncing using Dropbox. It is working great from my macbook to my iOS devices- I upgraded to the pro version. On my other macbook, only the primary vault is syncing. I would like to have my secondary vault sync between macbooks as well. Is there a link you can share to help me with this as well? Thanks so much for the quick and helpful support!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is a knowledge base article on Dropbox sync here which includes the following:

To sync with Dropbox on other Macs, just be sure you are signed in to the same Dropbox account and follow the same steps on the other Macs.

There's also a knowledge base article on troubleshooting Dropbox syncing. (Even though it relates to 1P4 it's still relevant for 1P5.)

I don't normally get involved in threads about Dropbox because I don't use it (I use wifi sync) but you were so appreciative I felt I had to try to help! :) Sorry if it doesn't solve your problem. By all means post again if you still have difficulties.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Erin Leigh Glab

Each vault has to have its synchronisation set up individually. If I had to guess I'd say you set up Dropbox sync and maybe assumed it would automatically sync all vaults. It's a design decision and I suspect many of our customers like it this way so they can control what gets synced and what doesn't.

What to do is change to your secondary vault and then go through the steps to sync again. Now if you think you'd want to share this vault with others then let us know as I'd make a few suggestions on file locations in Dropbox, I just don't want to make this most more convoluted than it needs to be though.

Now to add your secondary vault on your other mac all you need to do is navigate your Dropbox folders, find the agilekeychain that represents the secondary vault and double click on it - 1Password will do the rest. I'm going to link you to our guide on Sharing a vault as it might prove informative but if you're only sharing the vault with yourself then there are steps you can miss out (like ensuring the vault is located somewhere where you don't accidentally share more than you intend etc.).

If you have any problems post back here and we'll help you get sorted out :smile:

This discussion has been closed.