problem with focus on search field in 1P v.5

Options
odysseus
odysseus
Community Member

I'm repeatedly having problems with the search field in version 5 of 1Password. I'll click to focus on the field which is highlighted by a blue border, but when I type, no characters appear; however, if I click again, everything I type will magically appear.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Hi @odysseus‌,

This is a known issue with v5.0.0 (current latest Mac App Store release) and v5.0.1 (current latest AgileBits Store release). It wouldn't always happen, but with the right series of steps we could get it to consistently happen here, and we've addressed it in 5.0.2.BETA-3.

The workaround, until the fix is released... is to click again after you've clicked into the search field. If no characters appear, click again. The characters you previously typed should show up.

Rick

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Yes, I described the workaround in my initial post.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

I'm glad to hear that the workaround is an option for you until our intrepid devs get this fix release shipped! :)

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

On a somewhat unrelated note, are web store and MAS releases of 1P now more or less synchronized?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

Yes, we've been doing our best to release updates for the webstore version and the Mac App Store version at the same time so that we don't have to worry about features and fixes being available on one version before the other (that just got confusing in early version 4!) Both versions should be feature-identical, of course with the exception of iCloud sync, which is only available on the Mac App Store version.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

The focus problem still exists in the released version of 5.0.2 :(

• Hi @odysseus‌,

Sorry to hear that my fix didn't address the problem completely. Can you describe your exact steps to reproduce? Which part of the search field are you clicking on? If possible, a video of it happening would be very appreciated. It's entirely possible that my fix didn't take into consideration all possible cases. Would love to make it better if it's still biting you.

There's still a problem where it won't always draw the blinking insertion point, but there's only so much I can do about that one until Apple fixes their side of it.

Rick

• thewallrus
    thewallrus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - hope this isn't hijacking this thread, but I see exactly the same on 5.0.2. It's easily reproducible...

• Enter some text in the search box
    • Click the "x" to clear
    • Focus doesn't return to the search box
    • Click in the search box, no insertion point, type away
    • Click again, text that you've typed appears

I also have another issue with the search box...trying to drag and highlight text already entered is a pretty challenging task! The cursor would appear to need to be exactly in the right place vertically to stop me from dragging the window around, rather than highlighting the text already in the box. This again appears to be easily reproducible.

I'm running OS X 10.10, specifics attached in screenshot.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thewallrus‌

Thanks so much for providing those steps! I can confirm that the focus is not returned to the search field after clicking the 'x' to clear the field. However, I'm unable to reproduce the second part of the error that you're seeing (specifically that the text doesn't show up until you click a second time in the search field.)

Could you let me know if you're using the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store or from our webstore?

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

I also didn't find those steps to lead to a perfectly reproducible problem, but soon after, I saw the problem again. I'm using the webstore version.

• thewallrus
    thewallrus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I'm using the Mac App Store version.

• Hi guys,

Thanks for the details! I'm able to reliably reproduce this issue and will file a bug report.

• thewallrus
    thewallrus
    Community Member
    Options

Great, thx!

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of @JasperP and the rest of the team you are very welcome!

This discussion has been closed.