Version compatibility issues

Options
DownUnder
DownUnder
Community Member

Hello,

I have 1P 3.8.22 running on my Mac Pro Lion. I have a new iPad Air on which I've installed 1P 5.1.1. I can't get the two to play together.

I've therefore bought an upgrade from 3.8.22 to v5, only to find out afterwards that v5 doesn't run on Lion. And I can't upgrade the OS on my Mac Pro mid-project.

I don't use cloud storage and would prefer to keep it that way. So I've read the instructions on WiFi syncing with 1P 3.8, but the iPad never appears in the "Sync" section on the Mac Pro, presumably because the latter doesn't have WiFi (although it's wired by Ethernet to the same router supplying the WiFi hotspot). I've tried relaunching both applications several times, doesn't help.

Incidentally, I also have an older version of 1P for iOS, namely 3.7.2, if there's anything I can use it for.

What are my options? Is it only Dropbox/iCloud or OS upgrade?

Thanks.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DownUnder‌

If now isn't a good time to upgrade your OS then I'd say your most viable option would be to try and stick with 1Password 3 on both devices. Given that you're running Lion you are currently running the latest version of 1Password that you can, if it had been at least Mountain Lion you could have run 1Password 4 and all would have been fine. The trouble is so much changed between versions 3 & 4 that options are limited. If I recall correctly 1Password 3 for OS X placed the only copy of the agilekeychain in the Dropbox filespace in lieu of ~/Library so I'm reluctant to suggest it despite the fact that in theory 1Password 5 for iOS and 1Password 3 for OS X are be able to use it to communicate. It may very well be I'm being overly cautious here.

If you purchased the old 1Password 3 for iOS as you stated you have then you should still be able to redownload it in iTunes if you don't have a copy of the .ipa file. Now 1Password for iPhone 3.7.2 was written for an older version of iOS so while I'm not personally aware of any reason, it won't have been tested on iOS 8 in any official sense. I still suspect this is your best option though.

• DownUnder
    DownUnder
    Community Member
    Options

You've helped me a great deal. I redownloaded v3 on the iPad which then not only synced fine over WiFi with my Mac, but also detected the v5 app, proposed to import everything into that app etc. Everything went smoothly and I can even use v5 now, although without syncing (it still doesn't appear on my Mac when launched). This is surprising to me: both app coexist and exchange data just fine, and I can't understand why v5 won't sync with the Mac's v3 directly.

Anyway, problem solved for the time being, since I have all my passwords and I don't create new ones every day...

Thank you!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DownUnder‌

1Password 4 was essentially a total re-write compared to 1Password 3. All that they really share in common (at least my understanding anyway) is the ability to read the agilekeychain. They made sure you could transition from 3 to 4 but it's more a one-time thing, the expectation is you wouldn't keep the two versions running in tandem, at least in iOS anyway. Dropbox changed their APIs, WiFi changed so much the two weren't compatible.

When you're ready to transition completely to 1Password 5 we'll probably have to do a wipe of 1Password 5 for iOS on your iOS devices to force another sync with 1Password 3 but you know where the forums are and we can help you with all the steps needed.

Enjoy 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.