Yahoo Mail Web browser setup

Options
La_Diva
La_Diva
Community Member

Hello,
I'm a new user, and just got the program installed fine and my first password saves went fine just like the instructions say, but I'm not able to get Yahoo mail to work; when I get everything saved and later try to access, I'm taken to a completely different web address than the one I saved to for mail. When I try to access my login through 1Password, I get directed to a Yahoo finance site whos address is nothing like what is saved for the mail address.

I checked to see if everything got saved ok, and my first two password setups went fine, but Yahoo webmail isn't working for me, so not sure if the program works for Yahoo mail or if it's a Yahoo problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

It is not (necessarily) a Yahoo problem - I use 1Password to my account there.

Try this: Manually go into the Yahoo page for your Inbox, then trigger 1Password's "Save new login" function. It is in the drop-down menu of the Mini's "gear" icon.

• La_Diva
    La_Diva
    Community Member
    Options

I think I may have found a couple possible bugs with the program involving Yahoo Mail.

The program is not working for me if I try to access Yahoo Mail from any general Yahoo domain website. For example, if I'm at www.yahoo.com and I try to access Yahoo Mail, Safari just sits there and does nothing and if I try from Mozilla, I'm taken to Yahoo Finance and some weird error messages.

If I try to access Yahoo mail from any other non Yahoo domain addresses, the program seems to work ok.

It is kind of annoying, and I followed the instructions word for word and had no other problems except for setting up Yahoo mail, so maybe it is a bug?

• Hi @La_Diva‌,

You should be able to edit the URL associated with Yahoo Mail such that it behaves better in this scenario. To do this:

• Visit Yahoo Mail in your browser, specifically make sure that you're looking at the login page for Yahoo Mail
    • Use the Cmd-L keyboard shortcut, or click the address bar in your browser. This should automatically select the text in the address bar.
    • Copy the text by hitting Cmd-C or using the Edit > Copy menu item
    • Launch 1Password
    • Search for Yahoo, and select the Yahoo Mail item
    • Click the Edit button in the lower right
    • There should be a Website entry, select it
    • Replace the website by selecting the text that's in the Website entry, and deleting it, and pasting in the address we copied from the browser
    • Click Save in the lower right

This should give you a significantly better experience with Yahoo Mail.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• duntuc
    duntuc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick - I followed your instructions in your previous post twice - and am getting no joy. Now I am locked out of yahoo mail on my browser, on my pad and my iphone - all of which have 1password installed on them. Before I tried resetting the password following your instructions, copying and pasting the log-in address into the 1password yahoo page, i could at least sign in (for some reason) using 1password onto yahoo via Safari- tho yahoo wasn't working in my iPad iphone or on my laptop in the mail program, despite the fact that i'd used 1password to log on before. Now, as I said, I can't get into yahoo.mail nohow, no way.

• In a related issue, I am not using 1password with my gmail mail account because it has some sort of 2 tier security thing going that I don't know how to change or work with in 1password.
    • help please!
    • duncan
  • duntuc
    duntuc
    Community Member
    Options

PS - I just changed my Yahoo password for the 3rd time today, this time just entering a password I made up myself, and now have access to yahoo mail on my computer, iphone and iPad (I entered my new password on each device).

• So -with both gmail and yahoo mail I'm in - but they don't work with 1password.
    • No big deal in the scheme of things but it'd be nice if 1password was globally effective for me!
    • Thanks
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @duntuc‌ I'm struggling to reproduce your issue, can you offer a bit more detail please.

1. I started on https://uk.yahoo.com and clicked on Sign in.
    2. I get taken to https://login.yahoo.com (full URL not printed for brevity
    3. I follow the steps for saving a login manually

If I then log out and return to the main page I can click on the Mail hyperlink in the page's menu bar at the top, where it will take me to the login page and I can use ⌘\ (the keyboard shortcut for fill) at which point it returns me to Mail where I'm logged in.

• duntuc
    duntuc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Littleobobbytables - I'm not able to understand your post, and now at least I'm able to get into yahoo and gmail. I keep my Safari password autofill preference turned on and it works, tho it's annoying to have both safari and password offering to remember and keep track of every site that needs a password to log on.

• I'm afraid I'm just too busy and tired (single dad of 3 young ones here) to deal with this. If someone ever tells me that 1password works easily with yahoo and gmail (with its 2 tier security) and that will happen if I try to reset again, I'll try. But at this point I don't want to deal with having to go through changing passwords on my computer, iphone and iPad and finding that I'm locked out of the sites again when I try to access them - and having to reset everything all over again. Too much effort and time.
  • Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @duntuc,

I am glad to hear that you're able to get into your accounts, although I'm so sorry that you're feeling frustrated with 1Password right now!

I keep my Safari password autofill preference turned on and it works, tho it's annoying to have both safari and password offering to remember and keep track of every site that needs a password to log on.

In general, we recommend disabling Safari's password save and fill feature, as it can get confusing having both Safari and 1Password prompting you to save items, just as you're noticing.

I'm wondering if we got our wires crossed somewhere along the line here. In your original post, you mention that you tried resetting your password following Rick's instructions. However, Rick's instructions were only to change the URL in an existing Login. If you're looking to change a password for a website that you already have a Login saved for, there are instructions in our User Guide: Changing a saved password. Google is used as an example, so I hope this can help!

If you're still having trouble after following the above instructions, please let me know the exact steps that you're taking. This will allow us to follow in your footsteps, and hopefully see what you see, so that we can determine where things are getting tangled up.

We really appreciate your patience here! I can promise you that 1Password will make your digital life more secure and convenient once you get the hang of things. :)

This discussion has been closed.