Feature Request: Multi Sync (Backups)

imt
imt
Community Member

I know an older version of iOS had the ability to sync across multiple account types and was hard to maintain. I am not looking for that per se (as in the ability to sync the same vault over different services).

What would be a nice addition would be the ability to Could Backup

Cloud Backup. - This would be a backup file of your vault to a DIFFERENT sync method then what you do with your main vault. For example, the main vault syncs with dropbox and then use iCloud to save backups of your 1Password Data, etc.

This gives users an automated off site backup(s) of their vault. In addition, it provides another means (quick) of retrieving their vault and backup credentials, if using 2 factor authentication, and they get hacked or lose their primary device.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for suggesting this, @imt! It is an interesting idea. :)

One thing to keep in mind in the meantime is that every backup solution that backs up your Home folder (which is pretty much all of them) will include your 1Password data as well. I myself use Time Machine for onsite hourly backups, SuperDuper! for periodic onsite full bootable clones, and CrashPlan for ongoing offsite backups, but there are other options to fill each of those roles as well.

• gabeio
    gabeio
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

It still would be really nice to be able to sync iCloud and to a specific folder so for example:
    iPhones <iCloud> Macs <Bittorrent Sync/Google Drive/Dropbox/etc.(Folder)> Windows'

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gabeio,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here! We did experiment with allowing multiple sync solutions in 1Password 4 for iOS, but we found that it ended up causing more trouble than it was worth: because each sync service operates slightly differently, having multiple syncs working on the same data increases the chances of conflicts. In the end, we found users got a much more reliable experience by selecting the sync option that worked best for them and stuck with just the one.

This is not to say that we won't consider re-adding this option in the future, of course. :)

Currently, if you are dealing with a 1Password ecosystem that includes iOS, Mac and Windows, Dropbox is your best, most flexible option to get your data onto all your devices.

• imt
    imt
    Community Member

Megan,

I am not sure if Gabeio is referring to the same feature I am requesting. I was not looking to have multiple sync options for a single vault. The thread was specifically asking to allow you to save your backup AUTOMATICALLY into the cloud via a different sync option then your default. For example, I use dropbox for my syncing. I would want the ability to allow backups to then be sent to iCloud. Especially now that you can save any file to icloud , create folders etc. This would give all users the ability to create and store, offsite backups of heir 1password data in a different place then their original sync method. While you can do methods to replicate this, via crashplan, etc. It should be easy enough to incorporate this into 1Password to eliminate he need to use a 3rd party app.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @imt,

Thanks for clarifying that! I may have misunderstood @gabeio's post in that case. If so, @khad's response above still applies. It's a great thought! :)

• gabeio
    gabeio
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

I was apparently talking about something different. At the time I was thinking of continuous syncing between 2+ different services. But honestly I only need it was possible to sync with a file/folder and a cloud so that I could sync the file/folder using a cloud service of my choosing. Is syncing between the cloud and a folder also that hard? I understand why not two clouds but why not a folder & cloud. And just have a priority on the two giving the app the choice on which to sync with before then syncing with the other and then back to the first again to complete the dual sync.

As an aside I would really like to be able to use bittorrent sync as it's a free alternative to dropbox without having it in a public cloud.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gabeio,

At the time I was thinking of continuous syncing between 2+ different services.

I'm glad I understood you correctly! Then hopefully my original explanation helps. :)

But honestly I only need it was possible to sync with a file/folder and a cloud so that I could sync the file/folder using a cloud service of my choosing.

At this time it is not possible to sync both to a folder and a cloud solution (such as Dropbox or iCloud). However, if you only mean that you would like to sync 1Password via your own cloud solution, then Folder Sync is what you're looking for. While you can't have both Folder sync and a cloud solution enabled, syncing to a folder will allow you to use your own cloud service, such as bittorrent.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.