Any update on sharing a primary vault

Options
Mac User
Mac User
Community Member

Hi,

I've read in other threads that importing someone else's (e.g., spouse) primary vault as a secondary vault is not recommended because of extra data in the primary vault. I'm wondering if this scenario is possible/supported now (assuming latest iOS and Mac versions). If not, I'd like to add my vote for this feature.

Thanks

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi Mac User,

Thanks so much for checking in on us. If this is the set-up that you're hoping to use, we can help! One of the tricky elements is that all primary vaults are named 1Password.agilekeychain, so we'll need to be extra-cautious about where we store these files in your Dropbox so that you don't confuse them if you ever need to reset sync for any reason. (We don't want you to accidentally merge vaults by selecting the incorrect keychain file!)

In order to give you proper instructions here, I'll need a bit more information:

• Do you and your spouse (or whomever you're swapping vaults with) share a Dropbox account or do you each have your own?
    • What are the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems for all computers and devices currently running 1Password?

I'd also like to see a Diagnostics Report from each of your Macs:

https://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Mac User
    Mac User
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Megan,

I have sent the email to support with title "Any update on sharing a primary vault" and support ID [#IGA-57184-221].

Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mac User,

I've replied to your email directly with instructions on how to set up your swapped primary vaults. We'll keep the conversation going via email so we don't get tangled up between here and there. :)

• brettbollman
    edited November 2014
    Options

Would love more information on this if it's possible to share. Here's the setup that I would find ideal:

User 1 Vaults:

// User 1 - Primary Vault
    // User 1 - Work Vault
    // User 1 - Family Vault
    // User 2 - Primary Vault

User 2 Vaults:

// User 2 - Primary Vault
    // User 2 - Work Vault
    // User 1 - Family Vault
    // User 1 - Primary Vault

This seems like an ideal setup where privacy between two users/spouses is not necessary. Where vaults are used to keep personal accounts for the same services separated by user/spouse. A single shared vault to store family related accounts. And then separation for business accounts for each.

The trick is like you stated... how to get the other user's primary vault to appear as a secondary vault in each of the accounts.

Can the steps be posted? Just assuming the latest versions of OS X and iOS.

• Hi @Brett Bollman‌,

That setup should be doable. The one thing you'll need is to make sure that User 1 and User 2 have a shared dropbox folder, or equivalent via Folder Sync. The instructions here will assume dropbox.

• On each user's device, disconnect Sync for the Primary vault, and make sure to check the box that deletes the data from dropbox (to make sure we don't accidentally use the wrong agilekeychain later)
    • In dropbox, create two directories... something like ~/Dropbox/1Password/Johnny/ and ~/Dropbox/1Password/Wendy/ (name them appropriately, obviously)
    • On User1's (Johnny) Mac, select the sync options for the primary vault, and choose Dropbox, and in the open panel choose the Johnny directory you just created. This will create a ~/Dropbox/1Password/Johnny/1Password.agilekeychain file.
    • Do the same for User2's (Wendy) Mac, only selecting the Wendy directory.
    • On User1's (Johnny) Mac, find the ~/Dropbox/1Password/Wendy/1Password.agilekeychain file, and double click it. This should create a new vault for you in 1Password that's setup to sync with that agilekeychain. You'll need to enter User2's master password to accomplish this.
    • Do the same for User2's (Wendy) Mac, but this time select the ~/Dropbox/1Password/Johnny/1Password.agilekeychain. You'll need to enter User1's master password to accomplish this.

That's about it. If you want more control over the secondary vault names/colors/icons, you could optionally manually create the secondary vaults, then manually set them up to sync with the 1Password files in Dropbox. I can't think of a reason why that wouldn't work.

Setting up iOS is basically the same thing. You'll want to make sure the primary vault is synced to your own 1Password.agilekeychain, and that you create a secondary vault there that syncs with the other. One thing to be conscious of is that with this setup, if you do iOS syncing, the vaults may both show up as named "1Password." As long as you can remember that your personal one is at the top of the list, and the other is for the other person, you should be fine though.

I hope this helps.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.