Sync and share a vault

Options
jodt
jodt
Community Member

I have multiple Mac's and iOS devices and my vault is synced between them. Now I want to share the primary vault with my wife. She also has an iPhone and separate account on our Macs. How do I share a vault and have it sync across multiple devices and users?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jodt‌

The answer will be dependent on which sync method you're currently using and also if your wife has her own primary vault or if you want her primary to basically be your primary vault.

If you're syncing via iCloud and you both have your individual iCloud accounts with purchases etc. then you'd be best to consider moving to Dropbox as you can't share iCloud synchronised data between different accounts. If both of you use a single iCloud account or if you're using Dropbox already then you're good there (depending on the next bit).

If you want your wife's accounts and devices to simply be an extension to yours (in terms of 1Password) where the primary vault she sees is yours then all you need to do is follow the steps you've already followed for your own devices and machines. In this instance you can use iCloud if you're sharing an account or you can use Dropbox in a couple of different ways. If you are happy for her to see the contents of your Dropbox account then you can simply treat her account like you would any of yours and set up Dropbox with your details etc. and follow the steps you've already used in the past. If you want the two of you to have your own Dropbox accounts then you'd want to look at the steps for sharing a vault between Dropbox accounts, here's the guide for sharing a vault (normally secondary) and the Dropbox specific part. So to have your primary vault span two Dropbox accounts you'd share the relevant folder and then continue as normal.

If you have any questions, or I've skimped in parts of the description just post back here and let me know.

The one situation I haven't covered is if you want your primary to appear as a secondary vault to your wife. If that's what you'd like to achieve let us know and I'll go ferret out those steps as I don't remember them off the top of my head.

• jodt
    jodt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables‌, thanks for the quick response. I've been a bit busy so I haven't gotten back to this. Anyway, we each have our own iCloud accounts and I'm currently using iCloud to sync between devices for me. It sounds like I need to switch from iCloud to dropbox and then I can sync between macs and iOS devices for different users.

• Ben
    Options

Correct, @jodt. Thanks for the follow up!

This discussion has been closed.