Sharing multiple vaults via iCloud [not possible at this time]

Options
cue003
cue003
Community Member
edited December 2014 in Mac

Hello, I am interested in using one password to setup and use multiple vaults (3 maybe) that will be shared amongst different family members (all family members/users are currently on mac and iOS devices). Can I do this with the icloud drive syncing or is the multiple vault syncing to multiple different ios devices (from different users) a Dropbox requirement?

From what I read it seems that iCloud drive syncing is only intended to sync to all devices that use the same Apple ID.

Please advise.

Can some examples be given of when/why to use multiple vaults vs just sharing the individual logins for the maybe 10 websites that will be needed across the family?

Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cue003‌

Thanks so much for taking the time to write in to us here, I'd be happy to answer your questions about multiple vaults.

Can I do this with the icloud drive syncing or is the multiple vault syncing to multiple different ios devices (from different users) a Dropbox requirement?

Multiple vaults do need to be shared via Dropbox. At this time, iCloud does not provide the flexibility we need to store multiple datafiles, and selectively share those with other users. There are instructions on how to share multiple vaults here: share a non-primary vault

Can some examples be given of when/why to use multiple vaults vs just sharing the individual logins for the maybe 10 websites that will be needed across the family?

I don't have many Logins in my shared family vault, but I still think it's handy, for one simple reason: sharing individual Logins does not keep the item in sync across multiple vaults. If anyone in your family was to change the password on one of those items, the item would update fine in their copy of 1Password, but the rest of the family would be stuck with an outdated version in their vault.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

This discussion has been closed.