Shared Vaults

Options
whydavewhy
whydavewhy
Community Member

IPhone 6 & 1Password Pro

Hello,
My wife and I want to use a shared vault on our iPhones with 1Password Pro. Unfortunately, 1Password Pro requires a computer to create a shared vault. Both of our MacBook Pro laptops have Mac OS 10.6.8, and cannot upgrade to the latest OS because of the chip. So we are stuck until we get new computers. I have some questions, though:
1) If I create items in my Primary Vault, can they all be easily moved into a shared vault once I set one up?
2) Can both the "sharer" and "sharee" contribute items to a shared vault via iPhone?
3) Is the shared vault data physically on each mobile device, or is a WiFi connection needed to access the data on the computer (or iCloud, etc.)?
4) has there been any thought to giving users the ability to create shared vaults from a mobile device, rather than requiring a computer? This seems rather archaic.

Thanks,
David Lindsay

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @whydavewhy,

Great questions! First, just to make sure, when you say you have 1Password Pro, do you mean 1Password 5 with Pro Features? (The reason I ask is because "1Password Pro" usually refers to a version of 1Password 3 for iOS that was available a few years ago.)

As for your questions, if I understand, you're actually asking about two things:

• The ability to create additional "secondary" vaults in 1Password
    • How to share a vault with someone else

As you already know, the iOS version of 1Password cannot create additional vaults. This can be done in 1Password 4 or 5 for Mac (or 1Password 4 for Windows) and then synced to the iOS device via Dropbox. But it sounds like you don't have a computer that can run 1Password 4 or higher.

However, it's still possible to share a Primary vault. You would need to sync your Primary vault with Dropbox, then use the Dropbox website or the Dropbox app to share the folder containing your 1Password.agilekeychain file/vault with your wife (please note, that vault needs to be stored in its own folder inside Dropbox, not in the main Dropbox folder). Once it is shared with your wife, she can start syncing with that vault. If you want to try doing that and need help, please let us know and we can give more details.

To answer your specific questions:

1. This is very easy to do using the Mac (or Windows) version of 1Password 4 or higher. However there's currently no option to do that in the iOS version.
    2. Yes, either person can make changes to a shared vault, and the changes will sync to the other device.
    3. The data is stored locally on each device (an internet connection would only be used to sync changes to Dropbox & the other device).
    4. Yes, we definitely hope to add the ability to create additional vaults to the iOS app, although I don't have a timeframe for when that will happen.

I hope this all helps, but please let us know if you have more questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.