Syncing iOS device with Mac?

Options
RickCunn
RickCunn
Community Member

What is the latest on syncing between various devices? Has icloud syncing been restored? Or are we still limited to WiFi syncing?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@RickCunn‌

iCloud sync is alive and well, but only within the Mac App Store version. Due to some Apple changes, iCloud syncing was removed from the website version. I can say with assurance it will not return to the website version.

You have Dropbox syncing, Folder sync and Wifi syncing available in the website version.

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

How do I tell where my version came from? Or can I? My desire is that my iMac version be the master. I want to get it to my MBAir, iPad and iPhone. iCloud seems the most direct and simplest way.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RickCunn‌

The easiest way to tell what version you have is to look in 1Password : About 1Password on one of your Macs. If under the version it says Mac App Store then you purchased it from the Mac App Store and so as long as all the devices are running either 1Password 5 or all running 1Password 4, you can use iCloud syncing (you just can't have a mixture of 1Password 4 and 5 and use iCloud).

So if your machines & devices are all running Yosemite and iOS 8 and all are running 1Password 5 and you purchased from the MAS you can use iCloud.

If any part of that doesn't hold true then the simplest way would definitely be Dropbox. It would require running the Dropbox service on your Macs but it's pretty unobtrusive and all your devices can sync to it regardless if they're running 1Password 4 or 5 or what version of OS X or iOS you're running. Other than having to install a small service, Dropbox works in pretty much the same way as iCloud in terms of 1Password. Most of the crew here at AgileBits use Dropbox.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RickCunn‌ I should add, if you want to force one copy of a vault onto all other machines and if they have data already on them we'd need to go through steps to basically wipe each machine/device beforehand. That way they would all pull down a clean copy when you enable syncing.

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

Rats. I have the Agile store version. The Mac App Store version is $35. Doesn't Dropbox charge an annual fee anymore? I'm always looking for the lowest cost option.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RickCunn,

As far as I know, Dropbox has never charged a fee for their basic syncing package. You can pay for additional storage if you go over the minimum, but they do offer your first 2 GB for free. Your 1Password data is going to take up a fraction of that space. :)

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

1) Mac App Store version says "family sharing" is allowed. Does that mean I can buy one copy and use that license on multiple Macs?
    2) If I buy the MAS version of iPassword will it find vault for my website version? Or do I need to export and import?

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RickCunn‌,

1) Mac App Store version says "family sharing" is allowed. Does that mean I can buy one copy and use that license on multiple Macs?

Yes, you can use 1Password from the Mac App Store on other Macs if they use the same Apple ID (or an Apple ID you added to your Family Sharing) you used to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store.

2) If I buy the MAS version of iPassword will it find vault for my website version? Or do I need to export and import?

Yes, it will find your data from 1Password 4 or 5 and will migrate it so that it can use it. No manual import/export is required. You will need however, to re-enable sync. Also, please make sure that you only use 1Password from the Mac App Store and trash all other instances of 1Password 4 or 5 from your hard drive.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers!

Rad

This discussion has been closed.