Upgrading from 1Password 3.8.22 to 5 on a new Mac

Options
hosapepper
hosapepper
Community Member

Please, nothing is working. Most threads seem to handle this topic from the perspective of upgrading on the same Mac. I chose not to use Migration Assistant to transfer everything to the new Mac, but obviously do need to transfer my passwords. Please help.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hosapepper‌

This will work as long as you still get the welcome screen when you first start 1Password. It sounds like that is your position. I'm also assuming you aren't synchronising via Dropbox as if you were then you probably wouldn't have posted this question (Dropbox is one of the options available if you had clicked on the I've used 1Password before button)

On your old Mac the default location for 1Password 3 to store its files was ~/Library/Application Support/1Password If you were to copy that folder across from your old Mac to your new one, then upon launching 1Password 5 that it will recognise the data from your old copy (even though you don't have 1Password 3 on this machine). It will automatically ask you for the Master Password for this keychain and then it will populate the local database that 1Password 5 stores this information in.

Once that is done you're free to remove that folder from your new Mac.

If you have any questions just yell but I'm confident that you'll be reporting success :smile:

This discussion has been closed.