Transferring 1Password from iMac

Options
Michael Cunnington
Michael Cunnington
Community Member

I've been having some problems with 1Password so I thought I'd better seek your advice.

Initially I installed the software on my current iMac which is now seven years old.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.9f4
Serial Number (system): W86359MUVUV
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB9D5348

I am now unable to install l an Apple system upgrade beyond the current 10.6.8

Consequently, I have not been able to take advantage of recent 1Password upgrades and am still running: Version 3.8.22 (build 32010).

I have to say that in recent times, 1Password has not seemed as intuitive as it was when it was first installed and I'm nervous that it might crash and all will be lost!

Anyway, the good news is that I decided to upgrade my hardware and have just taken delivery of a nice new 27 inch, 5k, Retina iMac which is still in the box! (Model details below)

27-inch: 3.5GHz with Retina 5K display
3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB Fusion Drive1
AMD Radeon R9 M290X with 2GB video memory

See: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac-retina

Now down to business!

I've not got to set up my new iMac and transfer all required software from the old computer to the new!

What to do? I'm now seventy-seven years of age and the prospect is somewhat daunting!

I am hoping that I will be able to follow the Apple onscreen instructions and not do anything that I will regret.

Question: Can I transfer the existing version of 1Password to my new iMac?

I don't want to do something rash and lose the passwords etc already installed in 1Password.

I am hoping that my current version of 1Password can be transferred to my new iMac and that I would then be able to upgrade 1Password to the current version which would be compatible with Apple's latest Yosemite system software?

Your support and advice would be appreciated.

Michael

Comments

• Michael Cunnington
    Options

I wrote: "I've not got to set up my new iMac and transfer all required software from the old computer to the new!"
    Sorry, if I confused the reader.
    That sentence should read, "I've now got to set up my new iMac"

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Michael Cunnington

I'll start off with you can definitely transfer 1Password across.

If you're happy with the idea of Apple's Migration Assistant (located in /Applications/Utilities) then that's certainly one route. I've never used it myself but from a bit of brief reading just now it should allow you to migrate your entire user profile and applications fairly easily. Possibly the simplest route would be either a Time Machine backup if you have that or if both machines can be connected to the same router you can run Migration Assistant on both and do it that way.

If you're within easy distance of an Apple store and have a car you may find you could even take both machines to them and have Apple help you (phone first though).

If you go down the route of Migration Assistant you should find that both your data and your copy of 1Password 3 are transferred. You can probably even keep running just 1Password 3 if you want although there are plenty of reasons to be running the latest version (at least I think so).

There is one small gotcha with Yosemite (which is what I suspect your brand new machine will come with). I don't know if it applies to 1Password 3 but why take the chance? Don't worry, it's nothing dreadful. If you do upgrade to 1Password 5 then I'd recommend dragging your copy of the 1Password 3 application (just the program in Applications) to your Trash, then downloading 1Password 5. Why? Yosemite has this bug where it gets confused over which copy of a program it should launch. You won't need the actual 1Password 3 program anyway, all that matters is your data which is safely stored in your Library folder which we haven't touched.

When you launch 1Password 5 for the very first time it realises it hasn't been used before and it will go look in the standard location that 1Password 3 and 1Password 4 stored their data and if it finds it 1Password will import it. So after a welcome page you should be asked for your Master Password. You enter that and 1Password 5 will import your 1Password 3 keychain into its database.

Since joining AgileBits I've trashed so many copies of my 1Password (for testing purposes) that it feels like second nature to import from a backup or have it look in old locations. That's why I'm confident that you shouldn't have any problems in this respect.

If you have any questions though or I haven't answered anything in enough detail for you please just post back here and we'll see what we can do :smile:

Enjoy that new iMac, you'll find it flies compared to your old one.

• Michael Cunnington
    Options

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. Especially the info re upgrading 1Password.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that once I've got the new iMac up and running, I should put the 1Password app in the trash, then go to the website to download and install the latest upgrade or do I need to download the full application?
    I'm assuming that I would need to show evidence that I am a current user?

Once I've installed the current upgrade (or full application?), I will then empty the trash and get rid of the earlier 1Password software. (I hope I've got the procedure correct?)

I'll print out your advice because once I start setting up my new iMac I'll be offline for a while.

There is something else I'd like to ask.
    Over the years my computer has acquired lots of rubbish and obsolete applications that I'd rather leave behind when setting up my new iMac.

However, I do have some third party apps that might be useful. Microsoft Office, for example.

Perhaps it would be better to do a complete transfer from Time Machine, then go to my applications folder and just throw out anything that seems irrelevant?

The whole prospect is rather daunting but I'm hoping that setting up the new iMac can be done without me doing anything stupid.

I really need someone to hold my hand when I get started. The stress is killing me!
    If you feel like a holiday in Australia, you're welcome to spend a few days at my house. (grin)

Wish me luck!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Michael Cunnington

In terms of downloading a copy of 1Password, which you can do for the various versions on our download page, all the downloads are full copies of the application. So you won't have to worry about if you've downloaded an update file or the full thing - all the links will download a zipped copy of the full application and OS X knows how to handle zip files straight out of the box.

I think as long as the copy of 1Password 3 is in your Trash it won't interfere with the new version. You just don't want it anywhere OS X thinks is a reasonable place for an Application to be. If you don't empty your Trash you also know it can be retrieved.

Now in terms of licences, a 1Password 3 licence won't allow you to run 1Password 4 or 5 but using your 1Password 3 licence you will be eligible for a discounted price for a 1Password 5 licence. You don't have to worry about that straight away though as you get a 30 day trial with 1Password which will probably cover whatever period you'll be offline for. As you can deduce from that, you can download and run the new version prior to obtaining the new licence.

Given how you're feeling about transitioning over to a new machine I'd be loathe to suggest a manual transfer of only the files you feel are important. It's what I do but I'm quite comfortable about delving around the Application Support and Containers folders in the ~/Library folder. I'm actually in the process of doing this right now as I'm also moving from an older machine to a lovely brand new MacBook Pro. I'd say the best thing to do is accept that will be some 'rubbish' transferred too and then yeah, delete the stuff you don't want to keep. If you wanted you could do that before you transfer everything, both are viable.

A general observation, if for some reason OS X determines it can't run an old program it will use a semi-transparent circle with a diagonal line to indicate it won't run. You'll also probably find a lot of the programs you used to use have much newer versions depending on what version of OS X you were running before (which if I've researched correctly is Snow Leopard).

If you have more questions post away :smile:

This discussion has been closed.